View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Pituirory dwarfism is known to run in some GSD lines, they tend to have very fine fluffy coats as youngsters but then develop bald patches & die early, but as it continues to occur I assume some bitches can carry the problem without having it.
Thought I had seen a couple of GSDs with short legged syndrome dwarfism locally but turned out mum was a GSD & dad a dachshund.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 07:46 AM
I have a cat here with the condition.

13 years old but very tiny, all the others tower over her. When she was brought to me as a kitten, I started to notice that she didn't seem to be growing at the usual rate, eventually I took her to a vets (feeling very stupid because I thought he'd laugh at me)...........after giving her loads of test etc., he said 'she is a dwarf cat' then explained it to me.

Everyone who comes here asks (those that don't know) Ahhhhhhhh how old is your kitten....when I say 13 yrs they look at me as if I'm stupid...........

I have never seen it before her, and heard about it, until she came along.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I have seen it a few times but only in GSD's.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 12:18 PM
It reminds me of a little BC bitch I knew a few years ago.
She was the most beautiful, friendly little thing with all the collie instincts but only grew to to be a little smaller than a Sheltie. Like a perfect miniture.
The vets said it was a genetic problem and advised the owner to have her spayed but he didn't give the condition a name.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3