Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:23 AM

I am so frustrated and angry!!!

I am so frustrated and angry. Someone I know got a puppy just after we gor Stanley. A beautiful girl, GSxhusky. She was a big girl who was full of fun and loved to play with Stan, she was one of the only dogs who could take the rough and tumble with him. I have seen her being walked less and less and just figured I kept missing her. Now a family member lives close to the family and she told me last week that they had been visited by the RSPCA as a neighbour had called them just before christmas. This dog is put in the garage at half 8 in the morning where she has a kennel and about 2ftx3ft of space and is left there till half 5. There is someone at home with a toddler and yet the dog is put in the garage. Neighbours have heard the dog clawing to get out if it hears anyone outside. The RSPCA had a talk with them and because she has food, water and shelter they are happy. What about company, love and mental stimulation??? Now this is all second hand from the family member and I have not been round there for a while so I can't be sure how accurate all this is. I am going to take a walk that way and see if I can suss anything out. I said to the owner(half jokingly) when they were both young that if for any reason they had to part with her I would have her like a shot!! The neighbour who reported them also offered to have her. I am just so frustrated about why they have this poor dog if they have no desire to interact with her or give her a decent life. I just don't know what to do...can I report them too?? Is there any point when they have no interest in this poor girls mental welfare? I have been thinking about this ever since I was told about it.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:27 AM
They might want to keep hold of her untill they can have some pups off her to make a bit of cash.
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
They might want to keep hold of her untill they can have some pups off her to make a bit of cash.
Oh, I didn't think of that and I really don't want to
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Maybe have an honest chat with her if you know her well enough and make your offer again about having the dog, I agree maybe the dog is having its minimum requirements met but its certainly not the life you would want the dog to have , hope you can maybe do something here and feel for you , most of us would feel the same knowing the situation is not right but difficult to deal with
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm not surprised you're aggravated - I would be exactly the same!

I think it would be great if you could take a walk over that way and see what you notice. And if necessary, report them also to the RSPCA (who sound useless).

You could also offer again to adopt this lovely dog, and just pray that they agree!

If enough neighbours keep talking calmly to these people, it's just possible that the embarassment factor alone may prompt them to get their act together.

Very, very frustrating!!!
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Am definately going to take a walk that way and I may see the mum of the family at school, and just ask how she is and comment how I haven't seen her walking her lately. She's such a big dog and knowing the breeds in her, even I know she needs more exercise than she is supposedly getting. I'm going to try and find out some more of the facts I think. Been bitten on the butt before going on hearsay.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:57 AM
At least this dog has you on the case

I guess maybe you could - if you wanted - offer to walk this dog sometimes....?

If that's possible?

Just a thought

Or maybe it could be suggested to this family that they hire a reliable dog walker to visit the dog once a day and walk her, feed her, let her out etc?
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I suspect that pride and embarressment is playing a big part. The dad of the family appears very 'alpha male' and although I don't really know him I don't think he's going to hand her over easily. I also have to have a think about whether I can take her. I have Stanley and 2 kids (7 and 5) and need to make sure all that could work out, but even if I couldn't take her I just want her to be out of that lifestyle, whether the people change and make her part of the family or if she's rehomed to someone who will love her. Might suggest meeting up with her and the dog for a play, which I offered many times when they were little pups but never taken up on. Could get her chatting and see if the dogs still get on. Stan is my first dog as a grown up and want to make sure it would be the right thing to take her on, IF they would part with her. Not sure if she lives out all the time or just the daytime and taken in at night? If she not used to being in a home, am I capable of re training her. I need to get the facts first and take it from there. If things are as I have been told I have an awful feeling nothing's going to change.
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2011, 11:14 AM
she must not be as shiny as when she was new
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
she must not be as shiny as when she was new
That is probably it. Cute little wolfie look-a-like puppy that suddenly got big and needs all the exercise and attention that goes along with it...so it gets shut in a garage all day.

Poor dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >