Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Experiences with Breed specific rescues

Has anyone had any experience with breed specific rescues?
How can you check them out and find out if they are good responsible ones. I suppose this is true of any rescue but anyone can offer a rescue service !

I've adopted dogs through the RSPCA and also Hearing dogs and two online rescues that foster but didnt have specific kennels.

The two online Rescues were very good , they home checked and interviewed. One had a forum so they got to know me
and I got to know them . The other one , individual fosterers were members of a large rescue forum (of which I'm a member) who only accepted reliable rescues on their pages so I had no qualms about adopting from both of them .
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Which breed are you looking at?
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty much on the official no list for rescues and fosters, even ones for Mastiff breeds.

Sole reason, "I have a intact male" or males in the past.

I don't neuter my males unless there is a medical reason, and I only have males Mastiffs.

So I'm on the auto DQ list.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not looking to adopt or rehome; I'm just curious!
The subject of breed rescue came up in a recent thread, it was suggested for someone who might rehome her dog.

I had a look at a list of names and phone numbers, some had websites which is helpful but there's not much info about the rescues themselves and how they operate.

I hope I havent offended any one by asking , many work their butts off and its an endlesss task but standards may vary .

LMost , Neutering males seems to be a more recent obligation( perhaps the last 15 years ) in the UK. Before that it tended to be just females. I adopted a tiny nervous dog from the RSPCA. he was neutered before I adopted him and I wish they hadn't.

ETA As its breed rescue , one reason to neuter is to stop people adopting them for breeding purposes.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Yeah, the neutering too early is running rampant here as well. My boy was totally healed from his with all fur grown back etc when I got him at 15 weeks It borders unethical, but people weren't honoring their promises to have it done near a year and they were left with no choice. Laws in place now here require all dogs to be altered before being adopted out, and because they can't wait months and months for all the dogs to come of age, pediatric neutering has come about.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:29 PM
That really is early. I've heard of kittens being done at 8 weeks in the US.

I'm not aware of vets doing spays that early here , early spay for bitches in the Uk means at about 5/6 months. I would have a bitch spayed before her first season.
It's not the law here though who knows what will happen in the future.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 06:19 AM
The only breed specific rescue I've considered adopting from was the Shar-Pei Rescue of Great Britain who are recognised by the KC as the official Shar-Pei breed rescue organisation.

Most of their dogs are re-homes usually from owners who for various reasons can no longer look after the dog. They're very strict about who adopts with vetting the family and home checks and although not essential prefer people who have experience of the breed. Neutering/spaying is a precondition and has to be done within 8 weeks of the dog going to its new home. In the end I decided to buy an S-P puppy!

As for spaying/neutering ... in Hungary, dogs are rarely neutered and normally vets will only spay a female dog 1 year old or older, Although both the vet and I would have preferred to have left her until she was 18 months old, Georgina was spayed at 13 months after having 2 split seasons.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Chlosmum ,
I've just had a Doh! moment. The kennel club , why didnt I think of that, They have a list of breed rescues which I assume they endorse on their website. I just googled it!

I like the way the shar pei rescue are thorough but not sure about the two months rule especially for spays.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
Chlosmum ,
I've just had a Doh! moment. The kennel club , why didnt I think of that, They have a list of breed rescues which I assume they endorse on their website. I just googled it!

I like the way the shar pei rescue are thorough but not sure about the two months rule especially for spays.
I still look at their website from time to time and do so not only because I love Pei but the rescue is just up the road from the village where I was born. In the past four years I can't recall seeing a Pei of either sex under the age of 9 months, most of them seem to be quite a bit older, so if you take that into consideration, I'd say the two month rule seems reasonable.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I think it depends on the dog, two months is a short time for a dog to adapt to its new home , for some dogs who have had difficult pasts or problems adapting , it could set them back . Other dogs may be fine.
Also for bitches , I was told its best to spay midway between seasons so insisting on spaying within two months could mess that up .
I understand why they have this rule but sometimes blanket rules cause difficulties.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >