Our sister sites
jenbeagle21
New Member!
Female 

18-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Urgent beagle weight clinic - not loosing

hi all
urgent advice needed.....
my beagle freddie has recently started attending a free weight clinic at his vets - for a beagle he should ideally weigh between 15-16kgs and to my horror on the 8th december when he enrolled at the clinic, we found out that he actually weighed a huge 22.65kgs. From the inital clininc we have completely changed his diet and feeding routine. We previously fed him canned food with mixer - now he has Wainwrights LIGHT complete food and we have to measure out each serving twice daily. Since the 8th december we have been giving the amount of food as directed by the vet which was 2x137g per day - daily total 275g.......also we have been walking him for a MINIMUM of 1 hour daily as well as slight jogging here and there - which has been a major boost to his previous exercise routine....now today 18th december he had to get back to be weighed....were we so excited to get him weighed as we genuinlly believed he would have lost quite a bit of weight - due to all the exercise and strict diet plan (he hasnt had 1 treat at all) only to find he had hardly lost anything. his weight is as follows:
starting : 22.65kg....target for today..22.32g actual weight: 22.60g ! unbelieveable. now we have to reduce his food portions again to 125g twice daily......i have noticed that at times with this food he wont eat unles i throw them to him or hand feed him - perhaps this could be overfeeding if he feels full.
Does complete food make dogs feel less hungry - iv never used it before. can anyone suggest ways in which i could help him loose more weight
thanks in advance
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2012, 08:01 PM
You may have to adjust and reduce the amount you give him until he is losing weight slowly and steadily.
I would advise you to stop hand feeding him. Put his bowl down and leave it for 10-15 minutes and then take it away. Give him nothing until his next meal. He will not starve himself, I assure you, and if and when he's hungry enough he will eat it all up. If he is regularly leaving food in his bowl, you are giving him too much.
jenbeagle21
New Member!
Female 

18-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by whippetwatch View Post
You may have to adjust and reduce the amount you give him until he is losing weight slowly and steadily.
I would advise you to stop hand feeding him. Put his bowl down and leave it for 10-15 minutes and then take it away. Give him nothing until his next meal. He will not starve himself, I assure you, and if and when he's hungry enough he will eat it all up. If he is regularly leaving food in his bowl, you are giving him too much.
thanks for ur help.....just a little concerned as the feeding guide on the food says for a medium 12-25kg dog the allowance should be between 215 and 330gs - and my dog is only allowed 250g daily and eats say half that amount . last week i had been hand feeding the 2nd daily meal as if i suppose was forcing him - and he did eat it then but turns out to have not lost must weigh - do u think if i take ur advice and stick to smaller amounts he will lose more weight next week?
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Yes - I do. You won't harm him by cutting back on his food - he won't starve. If you are serious about him losing weight then you are going to have to be firm with yourself!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I would also look at a species-appropriate grain-free food too. Or even RAW or home-cooked
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2012, 06:07 AM
As with humans trying to lose weight, a dog will not lose any appreciable amount of weight to start with, and it needs perseverance and rigidly keeping to the amount of food permitted.

It took me a year to get Pereg down from 20.8kg [she had gained due to medication] to 17.2kg - the most difficult time being early on when she kept demanding food. However, as she had recently been changed onto RAW from kibble it was comparatively easy to bulk her meals out with vegetables.

Of course it helps that she really enjoys her veggies!

Good luck with Freddie!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I switched my boy from barking heads fusspot to fat dog slim recently as he is on prolonged rest for a ligament injury and is only allowed 10mins on lead a day and i dont want him to get fat

Ive just had a look at their feeding guide (they are 9% fat v's WW light 8%) and for a target weight of between 10 - 20kgs it recommend 145gms - 255gms per day so i guess that if your beag is only eating 150 of WW Light without having to be hand fed then i would leave it at that. Perhaps 50gms for breakfast and 100gms for dinner? or half n half?

My 40kg dobe is currently having 250gms of FDS per day as he is under house arrest
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I would also look at a species-appropriate grain-free food too. Or even RAW or home-cooked
I would absolutely always recommend a raw diet with NO carbohydrate for an overweight dog. As with us, it is carbohydrate that makes our dogs fat. All kibble contains carbohydrate in some form or other, so personally I would recommend a raw diet of raw meat, chicken, turkey, a small amount of organ meat only, raw meaty bones, chicken wings. NO carbs - no rice, no potato, no grains.

The weight will fall off - I promise!! As Azz says, the meat can be cooked, although far better to feed raw. Bones must be raw of course, and chicken wings.
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I feed a top quality complete and my dogs are all slim. If they have put on weight after being on medication (steroids for example) I simply cut down the amounts they are given until they have regained their correct weights.

It isn't remotely complex - it is quite straightforward.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2012, 05:24 PM
It actually can be quite complex, Rio my female Dobermann really struggled to lose a few kgs and she is extremely athletic, gets hours of walks/ free running every day and was down to less than half rations for over a year without losing a gram let alone a few kgs. I eventually changed the food source from meat to fish which seemed to work very well for her and she dropped the weight quite rapidly and returned to full rations quite quickly. Not all foods suit all dogs for whatever reason and simply cutting the rations and upping the exercise should work but doesn't always. These days she's raw fed and while it's easy to overfeed and allow them to gain a little weight it seems a whole lot easier to lose it by adjusting the rations.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >