Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh Aitch, Georgie's quality of life seems ok to me (and to him) but it's not what you want for him...... perhaps it's time to let him "say" what's best for him?

I'm with Dave on this one, honey

x0x
Sorry Georgie is getting to this stage H i really am. For what it's worth he sounds fine to me too and I am with Vicki and your hubby. I remember when the vet told us to stop taking Biff for a walk, I was devestated but he settled to it and was happy. As they age, as Vicki says, hey develop new routines and we need to listen to what they tell us they need. Sounds like he is happy to potter and have tickles, food and
Comfort. Huge hugs, never nice when they slow up and change so much, bless.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh H, my heart goes out to you, it really does, as I know what a fantastic mum you are to your doglets.

It's entirely up to you, Dave and Georgie Boy what happens now, perhaps Georgie will tell you himself and you will instinctively know that 'it's time'?

If Georgie is reasonably happy pottering around the house and garden, enjoying his food, and is only having the very occasional accident in the bootroom and is generally quite settled in himself, then perhaps he is still has a little longer to go. It's not what he got before as you say, but as long as he still has a good quality of life, then that is always the main thing. Quality of life is everything.

That said, I know you will do what is right for your beloved boy and I know you will not let him suffer more than is absolutely neccessary.

And I do believe it's a case of a few days too early, than a day too late.

Thinking of you all and Georgie Boy, whatever you decide. Take care. Love from us. xx
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sorry Georgie is getting to this stage H i really am. For what it's worth he sounds fine to me too and I am with Vicki and your hubby. I remember when the vet told us to stop taking Biff for a walk, I was devestated but he settled to it and was happy. As they age, as Vicki says, hey develop new routines and we need to listen to what they tell us they need. Sounds like he is happy to potter and have tickles, food and
Comfort. Huge hugs, never nice when they slow up and change so much, bless.
Putting it into human terms Helena, My Old Dad is now quite happy to sit in his chair. He suffers with leukaemia (one of the reasons that I am glad he lives next door), but he is still happy watching the world go by.......
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Huge cuddles for you; this is the most wretched time.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Helena I do feel for you. Its hard to watch and wait However many dogs you have it never gets any easier. A few years ago i had a mother & son pts on the same day, I'd put it off several times as they'd always perked up.

Sometimes the decision is easier when they are ill/in pain but when they are just plain old I gauge their quality of life by the number of good days in a week against the bad. It probably bothers you more than him that he doesn't go for walks, dogs live for the moment and there is nothing to forgive, he will go along with whatever you decide is in his best interests on Monday.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I really feel for you H, he's always been one of my favourites. It's a tough one, you will remember some years ago with my old JRT "Polly" when I sought advice from you as her health dramatically and rapidly began to deteriorate. I couldn't say goodbye, and I clung on right till the end. She had very little quality of life and whilst at the time I thought she was fine and I was waiting for her to tell me, I look back and die a little inside at how I could of let her go on and on for my own comfort that I couldn't say goodbye.
In 2011 I said goodbye to both my young poms but for very different reason, but I also said goodbye to my dear old cat. She wasn't all that old really but had been suffering with hyperthyroidism for quite some months, and was subsequently diagnosed with a cancerous mass in her stomach, the vet gave options of varying medicines to keep her going varying from to stimulate her to eat to causing her to toilet as her body was giving up, I decided not to go down this route and to let her see her days out with some dignity for as long as her body allowed rather than as long as we wanted. I took her to be put to sleep after a warm day spent in the garden, she was still able to get around, still agile, still purring, and still unaware of feeling any pain, distress or decline. She'd lost a bit of weight but was still in quite good nic, but I knew her time left was increasingly becoming shorter. And I knew that I couldn't fool myself that all was to be fine, I took her to the vets and he agreed that he could feel the mass had progressed etc and that her decline and demise would be soon, and she went in my arms that day. She was still happy, and to me the last memory of her still being happy is something I can live with. I had her pts whilst she was still quite content, she wasn't a well cat but she was still content, she could still do the things she liked with dignity, she wasn't an invalid and she didn't suffer due to her illness. And I knew, i'd done the right thing. As bestowing that dignified end too an animal that we know doesn't have long, whilst they are still having the good days is to me the most important thing. It's different strokes for different folks, but I totally abide by the week too early than a day too late addage. I guess it's the big harsh realist head from lots of relatives keeping livestock, horses, working dogs etc, animals that wouldn't be as emotively clung onto in times of sickness or dying as we would our true "pets", but I allowed my heart to rule my head (well as a family, we did) once and it haunts me. I look at pictures of my old russell and wonder how I could allow her to carry on for so long, so frail and broken.
I really hope things aren't as close to the end as they may seem, you know I'm a pm away. All the best.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Oh H, my heart goes out to you. You've tried so hard to make Georgies twilight years happy ones. You say you worry that he feels he's been left alone. But as hard as it is (I know, I do it) try not to put human emotions on him. He is happy in the boot room. He settles there quite easily and like you say, he's none the wiser that you've been anywhere so dont beat yourself up about that. You know your lovely boy better than anyone and I cant help but think if you're not sure he's ready then maybe he isn't. Maybe one day you will look at him and just know. Be guided by your vet, but ask them to be honest with you. Its the least you deserve. I send you and Georgie massive hugs and hope you find the strength to either carry on or make the final choice, which ever you need to do. Much love. xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Huge hugs to you and Georgie. You now have a difficult dilemma, but whatever your decision on Monday will be the right one. Go with you heart and Georgie will agree.
God bless you.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm with your hubby on this one. While ever he's happy, eating, drinking and able to happily potter around, it's unlikely that he's ready to go.

I had the same heart-wrenching decisions with Sam last year. I asked myself time and time again if he was trying to let me know and I was somehow missing it, but, when the time actually came, there was no mistaking what he was asking.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Helen, as you know I was in the same position as you just days ago. I really thought my old fella had had enough and his quality of life was not what it should be.

I've now had 10 days with Dylan that I might not have had. In those 10 days, he's had a few little potters up the road. He's eaten lots of tasty food. He's run (in his way) up the garden barking at whatever Lily was barking at. He's enjoyed cuddles from me and the kids. He's had a cuddle from Gerri and insisted on being part of the action.

These things are little but they add up to a lot. Yes, our oldies don't get the wonderful, long walks our younger dogs do. But that's because they don't need them anymore. A wander up the street is enough. It's us that feel guilty. It's crazy. They are happy to be with us and as others have said, if that happiness is still showing, then the time isn't right.

I tore myself apart thinking Dylan was ready to go, but since he said 'whoa!!' I have relaxed, and so we carry on.

You will know Helen and I don't think he has told you. Maybe he is preparing you, but life still sounds pretty good for our Georgie boy.

Lots of love to you. I know how much you adore that dog and I know how much you worry. Take him to the vet, just like I did and see what the vet says.

If you remember my vet said 3 things must be in place:

A good appetite

Looking for and enjoying cuddles

Being able to potter around the garden when they want too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »