Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Is this the food you mean? http://www.millbryhill.co.uk/pet-pro...king-37114.htm

Did you get to read the other ingredients list on the bag?
The food who meant?
If it was the one I was talking about then its not that one.

Edit - oops, sorry I get it now - just caught up!
KevD
New Member!
Male 

05-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I feed Rolla on a Salmon and Potato Hypo-allergenic dry food which costs about £29 per 15kg bagdirect from the manufacturer. 23% protein and 4% fibre.
I Fed my previous dog on the same and she did well on it so have not considered feeding anything else.
He looks good on it, has plenty of energy, seems to love it and gets a tin of sardines mixed in every few days and occasionally some chicken.
A bag lasts 3 weeks or so, so it's not the cheapest but is very competitively priced when compared to similar quality foods.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
I feed Rolla on a Salmon and Potato Hypo-allergenic dry food which costs about £29 per 15kg bagdirect from the manufacturer. 23% protein and 4% fibre.
I Fed my previous dog on the same and she did well on it so have not considered feeding anything else.
He looks good on it, has plenty of energy, seems to love it and gets a tin of sardines mixed in every few days and occasionally some chicken.
A bag lasts 3 weeks or so, so it's not the cheapest but is very competitively priced when compared to similar quality foods.
have you thought about fish 4 dogs? thats salmon and potato and hypo allergenic, and i dont think its as exspensive at that.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
have you thought about fish 4 dogs? thats salmon and potato and hypo allergenic, and i dont think its as exspensive at that.
Are you kidding its about £ 50 a bag on their website
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Are you kidding its about £ 50 a bag on their website
really?? im sure its not that much! the woman i work for orders it for her dogs, she orders the working dog so i think thats cheaper. didnt think it was that much though!
KevD
New Member!
Male 

05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the quick reply but, as said above, Fish4Dogs is around the £50 mark.
Ebbie, my previous dog, started on Wafcol Puppy and then went onto Wafcol Salmon and Potato but I changed to my current one - made by GJW Titmuss - as Wafcol was also more than £45 per bag.
Granted the Titmuss one has slightly less Salmon and a bit more Fibre than Fish4Dogs but generally seems to be on a par nutritionally.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
The only TRULY hypoallergenic foods out there are those that where the protein is hydrolysed in order to avoid triggering a reaction, eg the Hills diets which are incredibly expensive. Hypoallergenic is a meaningless term otherwise and a pure marketing tool; a bit like "biological" was in the 79s!

One of our vets is totally against it and several others think it's a wonderful food.

What you have to remember is that vets have to look after many species and they have a maximum of one day's training on dog foods, sponsored by one or other of the pet food manufacturer's and therefore their knowledge, in general, about nutrition is poor.

there are various vets that espouse raw diets eg Mark Elliott, Nick Thompson, Richard Allport, Christopher Day in the UK and coincidentally they also use alternative therapies for dogs such as acupuncture, herbs, homeopathy etc.

Allopathic vets, on the whole, prefer to stick to what they "know".

Also raw feeding is not possible for all people for various reasons nor is home cooking. Fortunately we have a variety of methods which suit a variety of owners and a variety of dogs..........
KevD
New Member!
Male 

05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Smokey. I'm guessing that the above reply was generated by my use of the "H" word? By way of clarification the food was not specified/prescribed as a result of a veterinary diagnosis/prescription/suggestion.

Rolla eats it purely because past experience has shown me that it's palatable, agrees with the eater and keeps coat etc in good condition. However, I haven't tried it for myself

I couldn't agree with you more about the knowledge within the veterinary profession but I listen to what they say and take a view on the relevance/sense of what they tell me - after all, if I am speaking to them I am probably paying for it

I am into my sixth decade so, as a general rule, if I find anything in life that seems to work well/do what it says on the tin/makes my life easier then I do not change it.

Hope this explains why I feed my boy what I do - I must confess that I hadn't researched the precise meaning - but I do get your "biological" reference.......health foods nowadays always seem to be "probiotic" eh?

Thanks again

Kev
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12