Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Definitely!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
I used to feel very safe when I had Shady, not a sound got past her and she was big and black with an equally big bark so people around here were very wary of her.
Now with the two greyhounds the simple answer is no, they don't make me feel safe because they never ever bark and if someone come in they would be too lazy to even get up and say hello, they would just snooze through it.
Living on my own, with my daughter who is often not here now, and getting older I do miss the security Shady gave me and my son said I should get another dog to look after me as I am very vulnerable here. But to me that is not a reason to have a dog and I wouldn't want another one for any other reason either.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Personal protection has not been a factor I've had in mind when choosing dogs but, when I had a GSD in the house, I left the back door open most of the time and often left the keys in the front door for the kids to come and go.

CKCS would probably go off with and rehome herself with the intruder.

Mouthy Min Pin I have now does give me the reassurance that I 'really did hear something' or that there IS someone at the door or just outside it - nothing gets past her. In fact it is quite funny if there is a strange noise in the street and someone outside the door in the hall at the same time - insane dash back and fro to have a complain at both! Busy, busy busy.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 08:38 AM
No, I wouldn't feel safe at all. I'd have to hope an intruder was scared of all dogs even if they didn't bark as Axel has NEVER made a sound when someone has come to the door or come in. He also wouldn't approach and would look fearful so he'd be a rubbish watch dog
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I do have Dobermanns but have always had dogs in the house and tbf the Dobermanns are actually quieter than frankie my terrier, always the first to react to any noise. The Dobies tend to wait to see if it's worth bothering with. I spend virtually every night home alone and when the OH is home he sleeps like he's dead, so it would always be me and the dogs that would respond to any intruders. The house next door is empty and has been for a couple of years, firstly semi derelict and now redeveloped. There were intruders trying to break in there one night a few months ago and Syd my male Dobermann really let fly, the noise was incredible and I have never heard him make such a racket, he really meant business with his get off of my land reaction. The intruders made such a racket falling over debris etc as they legged it. The two girls however were waiting to see what happened and if he needed backup they would have no doubt joined in. Dunno about feeling safe he nearly gave me a bloody heart attack, from fast asleep to wide awake and heart racing in nano seconds, I'm glad it doesn't happen very often.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Definately, I would love to see the faces of any burglar who walks into a house of a Rottweiler and GSD I feel safe walking around at night with the pair of them too.
I've heard that having any kind of dog in the house can be a great burglar deterent, just the fact that there's a dog that may make noise and wake up the house owner or neighbours puts burglars off and they'll often go for an easier target.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
No not at all Been burgled twice during the night despite having two very enthusiastic barkers. If anything I worry more because there is the fear they will be harmed or stolen. And my whippet is even more useless, doesn't even bark!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Definitely.

Even though Ivan never never never barks he looks extremely menacing at people at the door. He stands with his head down, ears cocked and mouth closed. He does scare people which I don't mind quite frankly, particuarly if it is a stranger at the door. I will always let them see him, and draw attention to the fact that they are being watched. You cannot be too careful these days.
But if they came into the house he would kill them with kindness.

Skye on the other hand does not like strange men. She would not let one pass the house without letting me know about it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Never more so than at the moment. Hubby is away, so it is just me and Pepsi.
OK she is only small but she kicks up such a row if anyone comes within 10 yards of the house I feel quite safe.

When we had Mo she wanted to go out one night about 4am for a wee, which was very unusual for her. She was in season at the time.
We had no idea what was going on until we heard " POLICE, get your dog in we have police dogs here, tracking"
I think they had been distracted by an in season bitch
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:53 AM
All the time, my dog has a very bad reputation around here (very territorial!) and although she is a complete wimp out side the house no one is any the wiser, i won't go out late at night without her either
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »