Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Annoyed with Social Workers....

As most of you know we had to call it a day with our Ex Foster Son of 2 years, he has a number of issues, some which borderlined mental health issues. As he is nearly 15 he's actually allowed to call the shots as to whether he wishes therapy or not, and he chose not. Obviously we were matched before he came to us, as I have worked (the last few years) with mental Health, but having said that not anything to do with his type of problems. So the relationship between us became extremely strained and I made the decision to call time, before it broke down all together.
He went to his new carers on the 8th Sept, and didn't settle straight away, so they have had a few problems. The Social worker had left his snakes with us (that's ok) and a little furrie, but the little furrie was ill and although I took it to the vet last week, age etc., got the better of it and it died on Sunday.
So yesterday his Social Worker calls in here on her way to see him, I told her about the little furrie, but had the distinct impression that she wasn't listening, she was to busy asking about things in my dining room, to be listening. A couple of hours after she'd left, I get a phone call from my Social worker, who asks if I can speak to B later as he is very upset.
So last night the new carer rings me and say's Oh! Steph, can you speak to B, as he is sobbing here about his little furrie dying.
It transpires that they were doing a placement plan with him, when my Social Worker says, Oh! B by the way your little hamster was ill, Steph has taken him to the vet......when up pipes his Social Worker with ''Thats dead now, it died yesterday'' and tried to carry on with the placement plan.
B ran off upstairs crying and once they had realised what/how they had handled it, they rang me. I spent 25 minuets on the phone last night consoling him.....................which I am so mad about

So I have gone in today (support meeting) and blew my top, I have told them that they preach PC to us, they need to take a leaf out of thier own book. The team manager has spoken to me and he got told too, I think I left them with abit of a flea in thier ear...............

If they want me to keep fostering I suggested that they practice what they preach, instead of leaving others to mop up thier MESS.

Rant over...........feel so much better now
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Good for you hon. Some people are total idiots!

x0x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Good for you hon. Some people are total idiots!

x0x
Quite.....these are the same do gooder's that don't have a clue IMO
But if a carer was to handle a sensative area like that...........The Big Bang would be nothing, compared to what they would get
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:13 PM
oh, Steph, what a nightmare and despite the problems with B, I know you'll be upset that he was treated like that as well as the hassle of you having to get involved.

His connection to animals can only be a good thing and it's shocking that firstly they were so callous about it and secondly that they have had to get you to pick up the pieces.

I'm glad you gave them a right ticking off (I'd love to have been a fly on the wall )
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh, Steph, what a nightmare and despite the problems with B, I know you'll be upset that he was treated like that as well as the hassle of you having to get involved.

His connection to animals can only be a good thing and it's shocking that firstly they were so callous about it and secondly that they have had to get you to pick up the pieces.

I'm glad you gave them a right ticking off (I'd love to have been a fly on the wall )
Your so right, ok he has phoned me once before this, but then that seems to trigger issues where he is now, making it difficult for his new carers. But last night they couldn't console him, so they asked me too (which apparantly was my Social Workers Suggestion)
Now that has an effect of ''I wish I was back with you Steph'', which I have taken time and effort explaining why he can not be here. Then of course he misses the dogs etc., so it's all a merry go round. But if you had of been a fly on the wall, you would of flown off, because Boy was I mad this morning
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:26 PM
You give them what for Steph,teach them some manners and keep up the great work.xxxxxxxx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:31 PM
That's unbelievable Steph! Have these people not had any training!!!!?????

I'm surprised that a foster child can have pets (I suppose with snakes they don't mind where they are), but it must be good for them to have something stable they can take with them.

Hope you and B are ok x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
You give them what for Steph,teach them some manners and keep up the great work.xxxxxxxx
It's a wonder I still have a job.............never know when to shut my mouth when I loose it
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post

I'm surprised that a foster child can have pets (I suppose with snakes they don't mind where they are), but it must be good for them to have something stable they can take with them.

Hope you and B are ok x
Alot of kids don't or won't have pets, but some like B are an exception, if in long term foster placements like he is and will be till he's 18. It's beggers belief that the attitude is ''it's only a hamster, they don't live long'' when that hamster is probably the ONLY friend that child has in the entire world It makes me SO angry and there they are with thier PC correct ways..........well like I said this morning to my Social Worker they can stick thier PC Correct ways where the bloody sun doesn't shine
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post

Hope you and B are ok x
Trouble is with a lot of them - that is all they have - training in a quite sterile enviroment.
It is people like you Steph that deal with these children on a day to day basis and give them love and stability.

I totally take my hat off to you and Pat. It is an amazing thing that you do. I really don't think it is something I could do. Thank goodness there are people around like you who are willing to take these children into their homes and hearts.
xx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
Trouble is with a lot of them - that is all they have - training in a quite sterile enviroment.
That explains a lot. That's why I like my counselling course - when I go onto the degree, I get work placement and I go through counselling myself.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >