Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Ah ok I like that idea, much easier! What is the percentage again between say RMB and ofal etc?
If say you was feeding whole chicken that is your meat and bone all in one, a meaty rmb only needing offal, and veg if you choose...

IF I was feeding whole chicken, even cut in smaller pieces but spread out over days there would be no need to add hardly any meat just add offal (and veg if you choose) That is one example.

The point would be that over a course of days you are balancing your meat and bone out by feeding the whole 'prey' and you don't have to worry too much at all.

Offal = about 10% of days food intake and veg if you like no more than 10%...The rest rmb + meat or just rmb if it is meaty enough, remember it always varies depending on what you want to feed and how meat / bony it is.

Do look for a good meat wholesaler if you can find one. Cuz you will have more options than just a pet supplier only.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Another example...to show how it varies...I give my dogs ox tail, it is more bony than meaty but I don't like chopping it up small I like them to have it whole...So I give them their days worth in oxtail...I then do a couple days muscle meat only + offal etc. Just to show you don't have to get everyday the same.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Ok think I'm not explaining myself properly!

What's that percentage? Like you said (Mys) Billinghurst had too much bone ratio to meat (?). What's the usual ratio, if there is one?

I get the "whole prey" thing, just need to break it down cos my pup is probably gonna be the same size as a rabbit when I get her!

The way I'm getting it at the mo is, if feeding two meals for a grown dog first could be RMB and then organs in the next depending on the RMB fed in the first meal???? But what's the ratio so you know when to feed the organs and when not to?

Hope that makes sense!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
The way I'm getting it at the mo is, if feeding two meals for a grown dog first could be RMB and then organs in the next depending on the RMB fed in the first meal???? But what's the ratio so you know when to feed the organs and when not to?
ok, you will always hear people say 60% rmb who follow the BARF diet (Billinghurst) I think what we are trying to say here is that percentage should never be set in stone...You need to look at what rmb you are feeding and adjust amounts accordingly over a day or course of days, depending.

Using chicken wings for example...Using 3 jointed ones (more meaty) I would feed those at 50% of the days amount, 40% muscle meat and 10% offal. (If mine get veg they get it as an extra not included) Mine get offal everyday up tp 10% and they do fine on it. If I was feeding two jointed chicken wings they would make up less of that day only about 30% then 60% muscle meat and 10% offal.

If I was feeding breast of lamb I feed that as 90% of the day and then just offal for the other 10% (the breast of lambs I get are only about 15% - 20% bone - very meaty)

ox tail I would feed a days worth then two days muscle meat and offal - no bone at all.

As you can see there should never be a set amount for rmb / meat as it varies depending on source and what you have available.

What I mean is...If you always feed the BARF way, only feeding 60% rmb and thought of it as set in stone and you were using say chicken necks for your rmb that would = way to much bone.

Regarding the rmb and meat amounts...aim for 15% total edible bone in the diet and you can't go far wrong. I.E: if a rmb is about a 50-50 consistency of meat to bone feed at 30% of the total amount for the day = 30% rmb of a half and half consistancy = 15% bone.

Don't get caught up in the percentages I am just using them to help explain...Feeding raw does not need to be a mathematical equation and you soon get used to what you have to work with and the amounts to give after the first month or so
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh holy cow, what monster have I created!

Mys I'm gonna read that another twenty times, poor myself another glass of wine and get back to you!

Or perhaps it would just be easier to give you the pup!

I didn't say that honestly!

I am taking it in really I am, just slower than most!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 12:03 AM
well you wanted percentages and I gave them to you...lol

Seriously though if you can just get your head around trying to acheive around 15% total bone throughout the diet as a whole you can't go far wrong bone content wise...Once it clicks it will all seem so easy. Trust me.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 12:04 AM
By the way, your not being slow...We were all there once, I remember it well
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks Mys really appreciate the help, hopefully the breeder will have them on Arden and mince for a while after I get her then at least I'll have a few months to get my head around it.

Do you feed veg normally then or not?

Just to dig myself in further!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 12:17 AM
mine get veg as and when really and it is extra to rather than part of. When you feed it, it either needs to be cooked, although you loose alot of nutrients...or pureed, as they can digest it whole. Think of your 'prey' here...and feed in proportion. Personally I wouldn't go anymore than 10% of the whole diet with veg.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Ok cheers, will no doubt be back in the morning with more questions.

But for now I need to sleep. :smt101

Who's willing to bet I dream about RMB, offal and veg tonight!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >