Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:07 AM

Chemical Castration

I know this has been covered before - but that was in 2005.

Due to being rejected because of Louie not being neutered, I have been looking for rescues that haven't got "All dogs currently in the household have to be neutered" policy..

Then watching some of VS - she mentioned Chemical Castration.

I'm not thinking of having it done - if he is going to be neutered - it's going to be a chop not a needle, plus I doubt the rescues would still let me re-home a dog because his bits will still be there - or would they..?

However I'd like to know more about it but when googling it - all you get is "blah blah scientific term blah" and my brain just can't deal with it.. I prefer reading simple. (probably why I failed Psychology, but doesn't explain why I passed Sociology or Eng.Lit. hmmmm)

Anyway can anyone tell me more about it - but in simple terms..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:33 AM
http://www.peptech.com/HTML/Animal_H...orin_Uses.html
Suprelorin I would recommend.

Tardak is NOT the best idea IMO.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:40 AM
My boy had a suprerolin implant in February. Worked a treat and he didn't notice Rio in season. His testosterone seems to have returned as far as behaviour is concerned, but his testicles haven't returned to full size yet. A friend of mine has used it on her boy and the last one was a year ago. His testicles are still tiny and he hasn't started producing semen yet, which is a worry. He also has no libido, and she was planning to use him at stud at the end of the year on one of her bitches. I haven't heard of anyone else having probelms however. My dog's libido is back to normal but I haven't had his sperm count checked because I'm not planning on using him for the foreseeable.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Tardak is Progestogen used to suppress Testosterone production(hence some excessive interest from other males to a dog treated with Tardak)

Suprelorin is Deslorelin acetate which actually stops the production of sex hormones

The effect of Suprelorin can last up to 30 months after implant