Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2005, 04:30 PM

Dirty Dog

Just a simple question,

Star is a 11month old choc lab (yes him again) and is continually trying to eat mud and dirt from the garden, when he thinks he is not being watched.

He has previously had a bacterila infection because of this.

So my question is why does he do this and whats the best way to stop him.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 04:31 PM
i dont know i am afraid but i have a 9month old chocolate lab so when you find out let me know!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 05:07 PM
My bitch and one of the dogs eat soil, has cause no harm to date and I have always thought that it must be for some sort of mineral, mind you when the soil is frozen they all enjoy a chew. Think most dogs guts would not find it any problem dealing with a small amount of soil, but stones and large quantities of earth are a different matter and it could be the dogs diet should be looked at, it could be that there is a deficiency.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2005, 06:21 PM
He is on beta puppy/junior, this is what he was on when we got him from his breeder and the said to keep him on it until he is about 12months.

Other than him eating mud and his retrieval of a dead rat :smt078 he is in perfect health.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Think perhaps you should try a different food, look for one with more meat and less grain something like Arden Grange, Burns or Nature Diet or you could try feeding a couple of fresh chicken wings a day. Must say I would rather change to a better quality food and I would also consider putting a dog of Lab size onto adult at 5 to 6 months. But feeding is a personal matter and if he is eating mud the moment he has a chance I would try a change of diet, mind you Labs are well known for eating anything.

EDIT: meant chicking wings as well as the food.
EDIT again ops: chicken