Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scrappy2
New Member!
Male 

09-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Can anyone help with my dogs aggression with other male dogs

Hi everyone, just joined today and wondered if anyone had any tips on how to control aggression with other male dogs. My dog is collie crossed possible with lurcher and is now 2 years old. He was in a fight with another dog a couple of months ago and since then has developed aggression towards other male dogs from small to large. I have had him castrated to calm him down but wondered if there was any training I could do to stop this.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I would say to get him round well balanced male dogs, and just walk with him initially, with both dogs on lead. The pattern I see in my head for the walking would be dog, person, person, dog, then after walking for however long (and assuming he will relax), go to dog, person, dog person, and then if they are still calm together try letting them walk next to each other.

That's the way I would do it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Was he totaly OK before the fight?? How did the fight happen? and does he have any doggie friends he is OK with??
Sounds like he is a bit scared by the whole experience and expecting other dogs to fight so he looking all big and hard to try and get them to back off

Sorry to say but getting him neutered at this stage might not have helped either cos he is insecure and now has dropping testostorine levels

If you can I would get some behavioural advice - check you might get it free on your insurance - then you can get ontop of things quickly

For now I would keep him far enough away from other dogs so he dosent get a chance to get all wound up, reward him for being calm and then slowly build up to him being closer to other dogs

Also try and stay calm if he goes off on one - and dont drag him away, just stand still and wait till he is calm - he dosent want to learn that barking and lunging makes the nasty dog go away

Poor boy, hope you get ontop of thisquickly and he can be a happy dog again