Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nribs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 01:14 AM

I need Help With A possible Agressive Boxer Bitch

Hi,

I have just got boxer Bitch aged 3 1/2, we were told she is good with other dogs but now I am not so sure.

A few things about her, she is overwight and we will adress that, she is overwight due to over feeding and a lack of excercise.

She is fantastic around children and other adults, she is faily well trainedm does not pull on the lead and sits to cross the oad doesn't push past going up stairs, doesnt try to get on the sofa, she doesnt chew, she doesnt beg at the dinner table, she sits for her food etc etc.

Her recall isn't the greatest which we will work on, we have had her ina n enclose dpark and comes to a tennis ball or to treats.

Now the agression....

Our first walk we were on there was a dog off the lead in the park with the woner and Stella (our dog) seemed like she wanted to say hello so we went up to the other dog and stell seemed curios but when we got close to the dog she kind off snapped so we removed her from the situation.

We then took her see my mums dog who seems to be an Alpha Male acording to all the reading we have done, When he seen stella (our dog) he was pulling at the lead very hard to see her, so we let them get close, now my mums dog pulled hard and was righ in Stellas face and Stella seemed to snap at him so we had to again remove her from the situation, she escaped form her collar but didnt seem to want to confront my mums dog but removed her anyway.

My Mums dog stayed in the park although a good 30 feet or so away from Stella as we let our children play and stella whied and looked at my mums dog as tho she wanted to play?

Then later whe we were int the Woods we met a older man with a Jack Russel, we told him we were unsure about Stella but he was happy to let Stella get close, thsi was an elderly dog whos showed not agresion towards Stella infact the dog more or less stood still, but stella still made a slight growling sound but no jerking movement, we moved stella away from the dog but sill spoke to the man for 5 or so minutes and Stella still made noises like she wanted to play.

My wife texted the family we got Stella from this evening and were told the following

Shes Ok of the lead but allways kept her on when near roads, shes usauly Ok with other dogs, can growl if they sniff her but has never wnt for any.

The family we got her from were genuinly sad to see her go ( work commitments and new child alergic to Stella) and have said if she didnt settle they would take her back.

She is a lovely dog this is the only thing that concerns me and there is no way I am getting rid of her i just want her to be happy and it would be great id she was better with other dogs

Any help would be aprecaited

Thanks
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't call what you are describing aggression . My dogs often don't want another dog sniffing at them or right in their face and will make a snapping motion or a growl but it's just a warning really like saying don't get too close
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Boxers can be vocal which can be mistaken for aggresion. Since she's a new dog I would suggest looking for a good local trainer who can actually see the behaviour happening. It isn't a good idea to advise on aggression over the internet.

Hope you get her sorted
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi there.

Difficult to say for certain, but from what you describe it sounds to me like a bit of insecurity, she doesn't really know what to expect from the other dog.

One of my dogs is very similar - if a dog comes up to her and goes straight for her face, she really doesn't like it and will snap. This isn't a full on attack, its just a 'get out of my face' gesture. As with your dog, if the other dog stands still and lets her go up to it, she is much happier and will greet them quite nicely. I've also noticed with my girl that she will relax much more with another dog if she is allowed to sniff their bums before they meet head to head.

When meeting another dog, I tend to keep stumpy on the lead to start with. If the other dog lets us approach (rather than him coming to us), I will let her meet him, but will try to initiate so that she goes to his bum first. If she can get a sniff of his bum, that seems to be what she needs to gain confidence and I will then let her off the lead. If the other dog approachs us or if the other dog isn't happy about Stumpy approaching their bum, I do not try to force a meeting and will move away.

But I'm not saying your girl will be exactly the same and I do think a training club will be a good way of improving her confidence around other dogs - just make sure (at least at first) that you don't let other dogs 'get in her face' and that she's never crowded by the other dogs at a class. If the class is very busy and there is no way to give her the space to ensure she is comfortable, look for another class.

Good luck
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi
Doesn't sound like full on aggression, just bad manners, perhaps she didn't get out much as a pup?

I would say it is important to keep the lead loose, no tension and it is just as important that you stay calm...no tension from your end of the leash either as they do feel that.

If you are approaching the dog, don't go straight up to it in a straight line to it's head. It is important that you curve. Try approaching along the route of a semicircle, doesn't have to be that obvious a curve...just something to keep in your head. Dogs do not like it when dogs approach in a full on head to head manner.

Hope this may help a little.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Hello,

It doesnt sound like out and out aggression to me either,

What I would recommend is get out and find some people with friendly dogs and walk along with them as much as you can and get Stella used to beign around other dogs. Keep her on the lead though until you know what she is going to do., You dont say how long you have had her ? There is a settling in period with any dog so I would recommend going slowly with her.

Also Boxer Welfare Scotland do regular social walks in scotland so its an idea to look them up and see if you can join one and it would allow them to meet you and you can see what she is like in good company...

We are also trying to organise a social walk at staffie rescue in scotland so you would be welcome on our social walks then too - ( probably 50% of our dogs would be worse than stella so she would probably be best behaved !! LOL )

Get out as much as possible and when you meet other dog walkers who are amenable to it just walk along with them for a while and let stella get used to it.

good luck and photos please !!!!
nribs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Hello,

It doesnt sound like out and out aggression to me either,

What I would recommend is get out and find some people with friendly dogs and walk along with them as much as you can and get Stella used to beign around other dogs. Keep her on the lead though until you know what she is going to do., You dont say how long you have had her ? There is a settling in period with any dog so I would recommend going slowly with her.

Also Boxer Welfare Scotland do regular social walks in scotland so its an idea to look them up and see if you can join one and it would allow them to meet you and you can see what she is like in good company...

We are also trying to organise a social walk at staffie rescue in scotland so you would be welcome on our social walks then too - ( probably 50% of our dogs would be worse than stella so she would probably be best behaved !! LOL )

Get out as much as possible and when you meet other dog walkers who are amenable to it just walk along with them for a while and let stella get used to it.

good luck and photos please !!!!

Thanks to everyone for their response do far, i have had her dince Saturday and maybe i need to slow it down a bit, she has settled in brilliantly to her new suroundings, and I will check out the Bocer Welfare Scotland site but i would definately be interested in one of your walks if you get one organises?

Oh and i promise pictures soon