View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Perhaps it's me I am confused again. So Ben is fine with other dogs and only kicks off with DA dogs ? Could it be he is just defending himself ? you are going to try and train that out of him ? Apologies if I have that wrong.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I'm probably being a bit thick here but ... if this Electric Shock Collar effected a perfect recall in this dog. What's the problem now?

Surely if it was that effective in training him to perfect recall - any time it looks as if he might be going to kick off or get into trouble you just use that PERFECT RECALL that you achieved with the ELECTRIC SHOCK COLLAR (so perfect that you no longer need to use the Electric Shock Collar)

That's what recall's for isn't it? To make sure your dog comes back to you instead of going off to do whatever it wants to do and ignoring you recalling it?

Or does this perfect recall achieved by electric shocks only work when there is nothing else about that takes his attention (like black labradors?)

A little while ago I read you walk your dog with this that and the other and it is TIED ROUND YOUR BODY too? I am truly confused as to how well trained the dog is if all these precautions have to be taken.

And very baffled how you are going to use this aggressive black labrador (when you get the time to do it).
My husband and me too both weigh less than the 2 dogs. So OH walks them on 2 leads that run off a harness contraption that goes round his waist. The leads are on bungees and solid bits as well. so it doesn't matter how hard they pull, they would have to take him with them. OH would not be able to hold them just on traditional leads.

We have achieved a PEFECT RECALL with Ben using the e collar. Let us take the scenario that Ben and Tai are off lead, and suddenly a BL leaps out of thin air. OH calls out "Come!" in a very assertive voice, and Ben immediately stops, turns and comes back ... without having to be zapped. OH then clips him onto the harness, and Tai likewise. He now has control over the 2 dogs - most likely they will barking and lungeing at the BL - who hopefully by now has been captured by his owner - but he has sufficient control to stop a physical attack.

Perfect - this is all that we wanted to achieve. But as the icing on the cake, we feel it is worth trying to solve the BL issue.

Hence the stooge dog in the village.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Perhaps it's me I am confused again. So Ben is fine with other dogs and only kicks off with DA dogs ? Could it be he is just defending himself ? you are going to try and train that out of him ? Apologies if I have that wrong.
No - sometimes he will kick off at another male dog who from our perspective is behaving perfectly normally, not showing any aggression towards Ben whatsoever. We are trying to read what it is that Ben is seeing which sometimes makes him kick off. He is not afraid, so it is not a defence thing. It seems to us that he is wanting to beat up the other dog because in his opinion it is doing something out of order, unruly, something that is "rude" in dog language!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
I don't get that. You would ignore the law, surely if that law were in place you would risk losing your dog and it being PTS

That doesn't make sense to me
No of course not. The dog would not be punished, it is the owners that are fined!!

But only if the owners were carrying the controller.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No of course not. The dog would not be punished, it is the owners that are fined!!

But only if the owners were carrying the controller.
Nonsense, neither you or I know what that law would be as it isn't in place, your making it up now.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Well there is no point in him wearing the collar is there? So why is he wearing the collar? Doesn't make any sense to me at all. How much in fines would you be prepared to pay just to put the e-collar on Ben?
Clearly you know nothing about e collars. I was always taught that if you were going to discuss a subject you should know what you are talking about at the very least.

The dog continues to wear the collar - he does not know that you are not carrying the controller in your pocket. He knows that if he does not come back when you call out "Come" he will very likely get a zap.

A farmer friend of ours who has Woody, Ben's step brother, used an e collar to train Woody not to run off on shoots. Woody still wears the collar years later, but my friend no longer bothers to carry the controller. The collar is redundant, and most likely you could even remove the collar entirely. But for now Ben continues to wear his collar. OH carries the controller in his pocket just in case, but as I have said previously, he has not had to use it in a very long time.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Nonsense, neither you or I know what that law would be as it isn't in place, your making it up now.
No I am not!! I am assuming that the law in place in Wales would be used in England.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

This thread is bringing up more questions than answers I am now wondering should anyone have a dog they cannot hold on a lead ? That seems incredibly dangerous whether the dog is friendly or not. Certainly not something I would consider doing.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

Yup!! THREE
Who were they and to which organisation did they belong

Did you take their advice to the letter and for how long, did you pursue follow up consultations?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 02:13 PM
No I am not!! I am assuming that the law in place in Wales would be used in England.
You cannot make that assumption.
Page 23 of 44 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »