View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I think someone had mentioned on this thread earlier that programmes such as this and stilwell's had brought training methods out into the open, allowing some owners to train themselves.

However, there really are some incredible people out there, who seem to think borstal is the only way to fix their dog. I commented earlier on the Chi(however you spell the rest of if) being aggresive to children, and how the owner appeared not to have seeked help elsewhere.

On another message board i find this:

Hi, I enjoy watching dog borstal! I have a English Bull Terrier who is very unpredictable. She will go for anyone in that comes into the house, so when people come round she gets locked away. I live by myself with my 5 month old baby. I can not walk my dog as she goes for anything that moves including prams!!so can not walk her. I would like to sort this problem as she has not been out for a walk for so long. how would I apply for DOg Borstal? any help?

Why on earth does this person have a 5 mth old child and an agressive an unpredictable dog? Why has she not sought out a training class? why does she think she can wait for borstal?

Its people like this i just do not understand - if you have an agressive dog, you surely have a public duty to get it sorted! Why should we be at risk because you cant be bothered to fix it yourself?

Apologies for that little rant, but it makes me so angry to think there are some real problem dogs with owners who seem incapable of thinking how to stop it

And before people ask, we got on the show with a dog we treated like a child, couldnt recall, and was a general scavenger in the house. We got lucky and were 'spotted' on clapham common as our pug tried to play football..
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Irrespective of whether Dog Borstal existed or not, you are going to have uneducated or poorly educated owners (in terms of dog ownership).

One thing that these programmes do, is bring these people out into the light a little more, as they presumably realise that they aren't the only ones who have Fido, the hound from hell.

Of course we all have a responsibility to train our dogs, but to think that everyone will is madness. Or they will train their dogs, but train them to be more child-like, or.....

In the case of the owner you highlight above, again, I see the positive where you perhaps see the negative. At least the owner is taking a step in getting Fido on the right path again. Sure, it's arguably a misdirected step, but a positive step all the same. Hopefully, when the owner realises that Dog Borstal, I presume, can't take every dog that gets put their way, he or she may well look for a more practical solution.
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
In the case of the owner you highlight above, again, I see the positive where you perhaps see the negative. At least the owner is taking a step in getting Fido on the right path again. Sure, it's arguably a misdirected step, but a positive step all the same. Hopefully, when the owner realises that Dog Borstal, I presume, can't take every dog that gets put their way, he or she may well look for a more practical solution.

I totally agree - yes the show is letting them know of the options. I only worry that if she doesnt get on Borstal, she leaves it there. Thats my only concern, not that she wants to get on to it, more that people see it as the be all and end all
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Pyrdo View Post
post contents removed
I'm sorry but you sound like a recently banned troll.

Your account is being put on hold until you can send in a picture of yourself next to a monitor displaying our site.

If you can't your posts will be deleted and your account closed.

Actually I've changhed my mind, your posting was too offensive, you are banned (and all your time and effort wasted - all of your posts have been deleted).
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 06:00 PM
What is interesting, to me anyway, is that you feel the way you do about the trainers, yet I feel equal vitriol towards the people who 'abuse' their dogs by carrying them everywhere, doing this for them, doing that for them. That, to me, is extremely cruel. It's taking the right from the dog to be a dog. I personally find that infuriating and really quite sad to see.
I don't really have any feelings for any of the trainers one way or the other - I do, however, dislike the training methods they employ.

I fully agree with you that 'smothering' a dog with too much of the wrong type of attention is detrimental but is usually done out of ignorance and love.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Did anyone watch this last night? or am I seriously behind?
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 09:49 AM
i missed it but have set up a reminder for thur as it is on agian .
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Whoops it wasn't last night it was recorded, so I have read back and seen your threads now. that army guy made me laugh so much last night, he is a lot funnier in this series than the last series.

And im so glad they shows that man 'play-fighting' with his 'boys' as my OH does this with Roxy, plays rough, and I dont really like it, but least now he can see it doesn't so much good for the dog!

It was so nice seeing the bond between man and dog with that Great Dane, you could really see he loved her so much! however using a Halti isn't really training, I could have done that, so I dont think that was a worth while case at all!

The Chi, well, not a massive fan of handbag dogs so was hard for me to understand. Silly owner is all I can say to that one, but good one her for trying I suppose?

Loved those two staff x's 'the krays' of the dog world Think the woman has come away with a lot more confidence from Dog Borstal. And I hope she will continue to put more time in with the 'krays'
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:21 AM

Perhaps also if the owner is alone with a baby she cannot afford a behaviourist or find someone to look after the child while she does training with the dog.
Amon Rah
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:55 AM
daft question but how does one get onto dog borstol or in to dog borstal no one I know seems to know how these people get their dogs into this group I must admit I enjoy their training methods and advice sometimes I think the judges that test them at the end of the week are far to lenient but hey we all have different ideas
Page 13 of 45 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »