Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labby
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Owners who have had two puppies

Hi all, i have a lab puppy who is just over 5 months old. We have owned him since he was 7weeks old,in the first month we had him,he had major lifesaving surgery,but is fit and well now. His training is coming along nicely although as you would expect,isnt perfect and we are working on his recall. I am due to get a 2nd lab in 3-4 weeks time, i love being active and love excercising my current puppy be it walking or playing. I was looking for advice from people who have owned two puppies,either from the same litter or preferably ones who started owning them withing 5 months of each other for their experience of owning two pets. Yes i understand the pros and cons of having two and have been advised against getting one so soon,saying i have set myself and my dogs up for faliure and very hard times for the dogs.The trainer we hired said in her experience she finds the closer in age the better as when they get older they wont be as tollerant towards each other,ie puppy play. I am not nieve and i understand it is going to take 10times the time and effort as it does now, doing double of everything, aswell as double the cost.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:16 PM
hi... i have both siblings and dogs that have a few months between them lol

not something that is really advised but ive not had problems that any normal multidog household hasnt.

that said, not sure i could cope with two lab puppies
labby
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:32 PM
lol, im very energetic and love a challenge. That said this one i have has been very challenging, he had lifesaving surgery at just 12 weeks old due to intussuseption and still im trying to find a food that agrees with his tummy so i know i may encounter these problems again (maybe not the intusseption as the vet in 43 years has only seen one other case and one thing is for sure, i wont have a dull moment
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I have 3 BCs, the youngest 2 are only 8 months apart, which isnt usually advised, but although the hard work and everything, I wouldnt change a thing.
The youngest 2 get on brilliantly, as do they all, but the youngest play with each other really well and Im sure its nicer for them to have canine play mates.
You know its going to be hard work as you've said and your ready for that, so I say go for it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I've got two dogs that are a month apart in age. They are totally different breeds though with totally different temperaments and outlooks, so it hasn't really been a problem.

I personally would never have two breeds of the same type that are very close in age. But that said, you are obviously aware of the issues that may or may not crop up from your decision, so that is refreshing to hear.

What I would say is make sure they get plenty of time apart and you work with them individually as much as possible.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi, I've a similar situation. I've a 2 year old German Shepherd that I've had from 9 weeks and yesterday brought home my second dog a 7 week old English Springer Spaniel. Its very early days but so far Charley is very impressed with her new sibling and is really good and gentle with her. I will let you know how we get on
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I got Misty when Angel was about 5 or 6 months old. I thought it would be fine as he was well under-weigh with his training he did sit and lie easily on command he was not overly giddy, he was not in the least bit destructive and could be left for hours without issue, toilet trained, had almost stopped jumping up at people and would not thieve off tables.

When I got Misty I found it extremely hard work and found that all the training I had done with Angel went right out the window and he regressed. Misty was totally destructive and he soon started to join in and follow her lead, I ended up buying crates for when they had to be left but as he was older he did not take to it and would go ballistic barking none stop. He became giddy started jumping up again as she did and they bonded so well training separately became a nightmare as if you removed one from the other the one left behind would go nuts and as a result both now have minimal training.

I can't help feeling that if I had held off until Angel was older they would both be far better trained than what they are and less of a handful, though I still love them both to bits regardless.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by labby View Post
Hi all, i have a lab puppy who is just over 5 months old. We have owned him since he was 7weeks old,in the first month we had him,he had major lifesaving surgery,but is fit and well now. His training is coming along nicely although as you would expect,isnt perfect and we are working on his recall. I am due to get a 2nd lab in 3-4 weeks time, i love being active and love excercising my current puppy be it walking or playing. I was looking for advice from people who have owned two puppies,either from the same litter or preferably ones who started owning them withing 5 months of each other for their experience of owning two pets. Yes i understand the pros and cons of having two and have been advised against getting one so soon,saying i have set myself and my dogs up for faliure and very hard times for the dogs.The trainer we hired said in her experience she finds the closer in age the better as when they get older they wont be as tollerant towards each other,ie puppy play. I am not nieve and i understand it is going to take 10times the time and effort as it does now, doing double of everything, aswell as double the cost.
No advice, too late for that now, but you must be barking!

I like to have circa 5 years between dogs.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:04 PM
We got our second dog when our first pup was 6 months old, but our second dog was his half sister who was 9 months old and part trained gundog, so basically good pet level training and so i dont think we had it anywhere near as hard as it could have been.

When we thought it was going to be an 8 week old puppy we were going to wait till our youngster was 15 months so it would have been this september.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:17 PM
my mum has 2 dogs they have weeks between them and she has has no problems. they are both male westies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >