Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Teaching Tip to play fetch

I'm so pleased with his progress

He still has no interest in chasing a ball when it is thrown and still gets way too excited.

here is an example of the earlier attempts of trying to get his attention on the toy to be thrown.

(the wee cry is his excited 'ooh what am I supposed to be doing'...if you can hear the grunt afterwards, that's him knocking the wind out of me )

So, I have given up trying to get him to chase it for the time being.

Instead I've been walking him to the toy and luring his head to the toy, then giving him a treat. After a few sessions of that, we've done the same thing, but when at the toy I've grabbed it and encouraged him to take it, then giving him a treat. Its been a bit hit and miss as he was reluctant to pick the toy up to start with, but by getting him really excited, he made a grab for it a few times and that was enough to let him know that's what I wanted.

Last night was the best session so far.

This doesn't look much, but for him to go straight to the toy without a single circle and to pick it up and bring it nearly all the way back, well I'm chuffed to bits
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Oh wow!!! you have been working hard with him, and it's showing. Well done Tip...I knew you could do it, Soon there will be no more circles, now he has something else to focus on

well done again fiona...I'm so pleased for you both and Hoki and Stumpy, now they can have a bit of peace too!!!!!!!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks Elaine, but we've a long way to go yet. If he can see Hoki he immediately loses interest in everything but her!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, he's much better than our two !! They will 'sometimes' go straight to it (If it suits them) but quite often they will just ignore it!!! Nice little video clips, he looks so healthy.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Loso Do you know, I don't think I've ever seen piccies of your two - please get your camera out (and a video clip of them fetching (or not) would be even better )