Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 01:37 PM

cecs

does anyone own a dog of any breed with this condition.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I dont own one Banji but can help if you want me to?

Its a canine condition seen in many breeds and crossbreeds. Its been seen in Borders and the breeders have got together to fund research into it to find a genetic marker, its getting very close now. Its in labs too, (have also seen it in an English Pointer and crossbreed) as with all cases when the owners and Vets are not familiar, is confused with Epilepsy but it isnt.

If you want any more info let me know and Ill do my best for you.
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I dont own one Banji but can help if you want me to?

Its a canine condition seen in many breeds and crossbreeds. Its been seen in Borders and the breeders have got together to fund research into it to find a genetic marker, its getting very close now. Its in labs too, (have also seen it in an English Pointer and crossbreed) as with all cases when the owners and Vets are not familiar, is confused with Epilepsy but it isnt.

If you want any more info let me know and Ill do my best for you.
appreciate your reply. have got all the info i need just wanted to speak to people who own a dog with the condition.
if i need any other qs answered though i will mail you.
have you ever seen this condition in a dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by banji View Post
appreciate your reply. have got all the info i need just wanted to speak to people who own a dog with the condition.
if i need any other qs answered though i will mail you.
have you ever seen this condition in a dog.
Yes I have seen it in an English Pointer, a couple of Labradors, a crossbreed (GSD/Whippet type) and a Border Terrier.

Feel free to email me if I can help.
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I have seen it in an English Pointer, a couple of Labradors, a crossbreed (GSD/Whippet type) and a Border Terrier.

Feel free to email me if I can help.
if any of these people who own these dogs with cecs are your friends would it be possible if you could ask them the diet they now feed there dogs.
i know that raw is best avoiding beef totally. what if the dog wont eat raw at all, what do they feed their dog then.
much appreciated in advance.also how old their dogs.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:34 PM
if any of these people who own these dogs with cecs are your friends would it be possible if you could ask them the diet they now feed there dogs.
i know that raw is best avoiding beef totally. what if the dog wont eat raw at all, what do they feed their dog then.
much appreciated in advance.also how old their dogs.
Hi Banji.
Are you certain the dog has CECS? Have you seen the videos on youtube of Borders cramping? I also have a couple of Labs cramping but I cant find them at present.

What is the dog fed now? What type of dog is it? I ask because some breeds do better (appear to) on certain foods, thought to be linked to protein levels. I can get in touch with my friend if you like, she has a Border with it and I can ask her specifically what she feeds if you like?

I know the Pointer is fed a bland dry food, not a high protein one. PM me if you prefer.

regarding raw, yes I do think its noted as being quite suitable, but I also think ANY type of grain should be avoided, as should raw hide chews, pigs ears and anything like that really. Cat food should be avoided, they may not have a cat, but if they do, mention the much higher protein a cat requires may trigger a cramping attack.
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:18 PM
does anyone own a dog of any breed with this condition.
just asking same question as need advice on feeding dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:23 PM
What are you currently feeding? Ive told you about things to avoid, asked you to PM me if you prefer, and nothing!! Would you prefer me to put you in touch with the UK CECS co-ordinator? Im sorry Banji Im struggling to help you as you seem reluctant to tell me what you want.
banji
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:28 PM
i have already said i really did appreciate your advice and offer of help.
i really would like to speak to someone who has a dog with the condition as they have experiance with the condition and know what works for their dog.i would be most grateful if you could give me the details of the uk cecs coordinator.
regards.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 07:44 PM
i have already said i really did appreciate your advice and offer of help.
i really would like to speak to someone who has a dog with the condition as they have experiance with the condition and know what works for their dog.i would be most grateful if you could give me the details of the uk cecs coordinator.
regards.
I cant put you in touch with anyone that owns one Banji as they are clients dogs at work. I have seen these attacks, Id be happy to telephone you and have a chat if you like? I have been involved with CECS for many years, since it was first diagnosed in the UK in dogs, Ive seen several breeds have these cramps.

Im familiar with most foods that help the condition and those that I have said are best avoided. What type of dog is it?

PM me if you'd like me to phone you.

I will also email the co-ordinator for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >