View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jessicaellis
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2006, 09:57 PM

new staffie owner here.. advice on SBT bitch due to whelp soon?

hi my name is jessica, i live in bristol, i have recently aquired 2 staffordshire bull terriers as they were my sisters but sadly she died of cancer last month and her partner could not cope with them, the female is 2 and she is pregnant and due july the 1st her name is izzy and the male is 2 years 3 months and is the father of the pups and his name is dale, they are not kc reg. i used to breed alsations a few years ago but gave up after my daughter was born, i have never experienced a staffie birth befor, are they any different to other dogs? i have got an appointment with the vet tomorrow to reassure me and check izzy over, anyway thanks for reading hope to get to know you all and get some/shre advice sooon.xx
bluemurphy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your sister. Shame you came to get the dogs in this way.
You shouldn`t really have many problems with the birth as long as you cover the basics. The dogs usually know whats best. Try to get her used to the welping box well before she`s due, just to get her settled and then if possible just supervise and keep the male dog out of the way. Your vet will give you the best advise.

The only problem I have ever had with Staffy births is with inexperienced bitches that get carried away when biting the umbilical cord and end up chewing the newborn pup. I know it sounds awful but it can happen. I just try and make sure that I`m there when she`s cutting the cord and if necessary I put my knuckles in the way so she can only bite as far as them. If she doesn`t bite through it you can do it with a sterile pair of scissors in a sawing action.

I`m sure you`ll be ok though. Let us know how you get on. Good luck with the dogs.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi warm welcome to Dogweb, hope all goes well with the birth...Look forward to hearing about the pup's....
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Sorry to hear about your Sister.

Good luck with the pups.