Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2006, 11:13 AM

Staffie; Feeding Advice Please.

I rehomed my Staffie, Missy, in January from a family who could no longer keep her. Soon after getting her, she started itching like mad and had a rash on her belly. I thought it may be the wool blanket she was lying on so took it away.( Previous owner had laminate flooring and leather furniture). My vet agreed and said if the rash was a recurring problem, he could give me some STEROID (eeeeeeek!!!!!) cream. I tried different things to stop the rash but nothing worked. It kept coming and going. 2 weeks ago, I decided to try a hypoallergenic diet. She was on Pedigree Complete when I got her. Anyway, I changed gradually onto James Wellbeloved. She ate this to start with, but at the weekend, she refused point blank to eat it ! This was a problem as she had injured her leg a week before and is getting Metacam,which MUST be given with or after food ! So, sticking with hypoallergenic diet, I decided that I would cook her food myself. I give her fish, either home cooked or tinned in sunflower oil, either boiled potato or brown rice and steamed vegetables. She also has raw veg as treats and a portion of fresh fruit daily. Also, I give her 1 evening primrose capsule a day. Her itching has almost stopped. She has not had a rash for over a week now and she has also calmed down a lot. ( She was very hyper a lot of the time before). I just wonder if the diet I give her is balanced enough or is there anything else I should give her for vitamins/ minerals.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Hello Missysmum it sounds as if you are doing a good job there . Complete food doesn't suit all dogs.

You have been feeding a sort of exclusion diet, I would stick with the fresh food but vary it slightly to try to include as many nutrients as possible but I would only introduce one new food at a time so that you can monitor the reaction and exclude it again if there is one. It may be wheat or cereal that is causing the allergy, I would steer clear of them, I would introduce the occasional egg cooked or raw and some meat to the existing diet .

I am not a fan of supplements unless there is a specific deficiency, often you get the balance wrong and I understand various compounds found in fresh foods work together to enable the extraction of vitamins and minerals, this does not happen to the same extent with supplements so I would keep the food as fresh as possible and varied.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks Minihaha. You're right, it's an exclusion diet. I have some minced lamb, already cooked and frozen in portions. If only people in the supermarket knew it's my dog that's getting the stuff I buy, they'd think I'm mad ! I make sure that no nasty chemical additives are in the food, and Missy gets organic fruit and veg. So far it's working well but it is a bit soon to be 100% sure. Her coat is shinier than shiny and she hardly scratches at all. Touch wood, she has not had a rash for a week now. How long should I wait before adding different things to see if it triggers the itch/ rash ? (p.s. I don't like the thought of feeding raw meat, so I cook it with mixed herbs, garlic and a tiny sprinkle of sea salt).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum
Thanks Minihaha. You're right, it's an exclusion diet. I have some minced lamb, already cooked and frozen in portions. If only people in the supermarket knew it's my dog that's getting the stuff I buy, they'd think I'm mad ! I make sure that no nasty chemical additives are in the food, and Missy gets organic fruit and veg. So far it's working well but it is a bit soon to be 100% sure. Her coat is shinier than shiny and she hardly scratches at all. Touch wood, she has not had a rash for a week now. How long should I wait before adding different things to see if it triggers the itch/ rash ? (p.s. I don't like the thought of feeding raw meat, so I cook it with mixed herbs, garlic and a tiny sprinkle of sea salt).
Hi Missysmum I would say if you have been clear for a week it is ok to start slowly, just a little of the new food for the first meal..and best not to add salt, there should be enough occuring naturally in food .

I also feed fresh food only, I buy great 'human fish' from Waitrose coley or cod frozen in squares 6 for £3 and under, and sardines in oil cost only 35p
Also rice biscuits from waitrose or the health food shop ..the round ones plain without salt/additives and sometimes for a treat the ones that have yeast extract on (contains a little salt I know ) good for vitamin B.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I'll drop the sea salt ! I was thinking about baking my own doggie biscuits. I'd use rice flour or oatmeal.( She loves oatcakes!). I like the sound of apple and cinnamon oatcakes ! I believe that oats are less likely to cause allergies, and if they do contain gluten, it's not as bad as wheat gluten ( someone please correct me if this is wrong).