Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 08:13 PM

Staffie x whippet with issues - help/advice please

This is Oyster. He is approx 18 months old castrated male.
I am a volunteer for a greyhound rescue we took him when his 7 days were up and he was due to be PTS. He is a lively character and great with humans. He is kennelled on his own and has been fine up until about a week ago......

He bit one of the greyhounds tails through the mesh in the kennel next to him and made quite a mess of it. A few days later he then got another greyhounds tail as she was passing his kennel to be exercised, again pretty bad and her tail had to be prised from his mouth otherwise it would have been clean off.

Obviously he is not going to be put up for rehoming until he can be properly assessed.

This is where i need some help and advice.........
I mentioned to the head of the rescue how great you guys are on Dogsey and thought it was worth posting. I have no experience whatsoever with Staffies only whippets which is what he is crossed with.

Could this be stress of being in kennels?

Do any of you know who might be prepared to take Oyster and work with him?

I don't want this boy to be PTS but the head of the rescue feels that if this boy can't be helped there may be no other choice.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 09:03 PM
i am not sure why he cant just be rehomed as an only dog. He doesnt sound like he likes dog much. staffies notoriously do not like kennels as they like their people too much, so he could be stressed but sounds like more he just doesnt like dogs.

Is there no way to try and rehome him as an only dog.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i am not sure why he cant just be rehomed as an only dog. He doesnt sound like he likes dog much. staffies notoriously do not like kennels as they like their people too much, so he could be stressed but sounds like more he just doesnt like dogs.

Is there no way to try and rehome him as an only dog.
Thanks Brundog.

Will try this but would have to be totally honest about his 'incidents' and this may put people off. I think it would take an experienced and patient person to give him the love he needs. I just worry that people visiting a greyhound rescue website looking for a greyhound would overlook him especially because of his history. He really is lovely though and deserves every chance but with the right perosn so he doesn't find himself in rescue again.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Goodluck with his rehoming. I hope someone will offer him a forever home xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydonkey View Post
Thanks Brundog.

Will try this but would have to be totally honest about his 'incidents' and this may put people off. I think it would take an experienced and patient person to give him the love he needs. I just worry that people visiting a greyhound rescue website looking for a greyhound would overlook him especially because of his history. He really is lovely though and deserves every chance but with the right perosn so he doesn't find himself in rescue again.
good luck, there will be someone out there - I took on a dog aggressive staffie as my first dog so some other fool will do the same !! LOL

Incidentally, it might be worth trying to pop him on another rescue site or link to another staffie board?? obviously he is much more greyhound looking but has staffie characteristics...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi Lucy you haven't really given a lot of information about Oyster and the incident ,does he have a history of dog agression. He could have rushed at the fence barking and snarling and bit the tails because he is dog aggressive, or he could have seen the tails sticking through the fence and grabbed them as he would small prey. He could have been laying near the wire and chewed the tails from boredom and frustration.
Can you give any more details about him and the incidents?
Oyster looks a lovely boy, I hope someone comes forward to give him a chance.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Goodluck with his rehoming. I hope someone will offer him a forever home xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Nes i really hope so too, fingers crossed xxxxx

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
good luck, there will be someone out there - I took on a dog aggressive staffie as my first dog so some other fool will do the same !! LOL

Incidentally, it might be worth trying to pop him on another rescue site or link to another staffie board?? obviously he is much more greyhound looking but has staffie characteristics...
He is a whippet cross so quite small in size, i'm going to contact some other rescues today and see what they say....

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lucy you haven't really given a lot of information about Oyster and the incident ,does he have a history of dog agression. He could have rushed at the fence barking and snarling and bit the tails because he is dog aggressive, or he could have seen the tails sticking through the fence and grabbed them as he would small prey. He could have been laying near the wire and chewed the tails from boredom and frustration.
Can you give any more details about him and the incidents?
Oyster looks a lovely boy, I hope someone comes forward to give him a chance.
We don't know anything about his history only what we have seen since he has been at our rescue. I didn't see the first bite but was told he grabbed the tail of the dog next door through the mesh. The second bite i witnessed. The dog was being let out for exercise and ran past Oysters kennel and he got hyper, barking and grabbed her tail as she was passing and wouldn't let go, she was traumatised as a result.

The only other thing i have noticed about Oyster is that he is fine with humans. When he is let out of his kennel he bombs out and into the paddock like a mad thing, and likes to chew on his football that he has pretty much destroyed. When he comes back in he comes back in much slower and almost struts past each of the kennels to get back to his own.

His front legs also don't seem to be quite right slightly 'bendy' when he walks ??

He just needs a chance with someone experienced who knows their stuff when it comes to dog aggression and can work with him to try and overcome his problems.

Sorry i can't give any more detail, i haven't spent much time with this dog but promised i would try and get some help/advice from Dogsey
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 08:04 AM
It sounds to me less like dog aggression and more like he pounced on something moving fast past his kennel. Cassie has a white tip to her tail and when Ela was little she was forever pouncing on it. True she didnt bite it and it was just play but it was the fact this white thing was flashing past her.

I think maybe he is just bored and restless in kennels perhaps?? I have seen a few of this cross and staffie cross greyhounds and they have all been working dogs this boy might have been too. When they are no longer working the prey drive still has to come out some where (with Cassie its tennis balls and pigeons) . . .