Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Oh such fun and games we have....

My son is in hospital for a few days - Raz and Bran sleep downstairs with him and I`m upstairs with Daisy and Shamus. I asked No 2 Son to keep an eye on them as he goes to bed late and all went well...till about 3 am when I was woken by strange noises. Raz had taken all the bedding out of Bran`s basket and Bran was objecting strenuously. I tidied them and settled them a couple of times then gave up and dragged my duvet downstairs. Peace..
..until I woke at the crack of mid-morning to discover that Bran had crapped on the rug in the hall. I discovered this in a tactile way when staggering towards the kitchen. Hopping about, dragging bedsocks off (ok so I get cold ) and grabbing the rug to hurl outside, I see Bran heading purposefully towards the front door for his morning widdle..and falling over in the process.
I heroically grabbed his harness with one hand and hauled him up..only for him to go into a major seisure with me pinned up against the door, trying desperately to keep any body parts out of the range of snapping jaws and flailing feet, while fending off 3 large interested dogs with my (bare) foot.
When he`d gone quiet I backed carefully away - he takes a while to recognise people - as he growled murderously at me and the other dogs, who obviously have a death wish today as they try to shove past to see what`s going on.
Bran had pooped himself and is covered, as are the carpet tiles (thank the Lawd for carpet tiles). How much poop can one small dog generate FFS? The tiles join the rug in the garden and I grab a bowl of deteregent and disinfectant to de-poo the dog (and my foot).
Much hot water later I finally get my tea...and find a miracle has happened. Since Bran hurt his knee before Christmas he has been glued to his bed, reluctant to move in case it hurts (he`s a bit of a wuss). Now he is trotting happily up and down the (rug-free) hall wagging his tail asking for walkies.
I`ve just got back from a short potter round the block and he`s nodded off in a pile of other dogs.
Will it last? Has the fit lifted his depression? They used to use ECT to `rewire` the brain, and I`m wondering if a similar effect happens with seizures. Anyone know?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 11:24 AM
ah the joys and delights of dog ownership!! i can relate to the early morning poo as it seems that when dylan needs to go, he needs to go. yesterday morning at 4am i was well, the only word to describe it adequately is slopping up diarrhea from the kitchen floor. (thank god for vinyl!!)

i have no idea about bran's incredible turn around but hey, who are we to question a wonderful thing like that!! it's really good to hear that he is feeling so much better.

reading stuff like this does make me feel so sorry for people who don't have any animals. how flipping boring must their lives be!!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 12:09 PM
What a morning! But a good thing has come out of it. It seems a reasonable thing to think but am no medical expert. Could be all the mayhem cheered him up a bit! Hope it continues as a depressed dog is no joke ( Sam was 'clinically depressed' so the vet said when his neck pain was bad, wouldn't eat and so on..it is awful to see)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 02:49 PM
what a wake up call you have had,

as to the last part, its very intresting, long may bran's new lease of life continue though. xx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't think I will be moaning at being woke up at 4:00 to let muts out again... I think I have it easy compared to your morning!

Hope Bran (and your son) is ok
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh crikey...you've got me worn out just reading about your antics. Dogs really are a lot of trouble at times but we wouldn't be without them, would we.

I'm not allowed to take Leon out at the moment but he won't go out with Clive, just does a tiddle and rushes straight back to be with me...I think he knows I'm a bit under the weather as he's fine with Clive other times. I've decided to go out with them later, at least until he's been to the toilet properly, and then I'll come back home, we can make up on the exercise front from tomorrow, but it is a nightmare when they don't do what you expect from them

I also hope your boy Bran continues to be happy and well..maybe it is the meds, sounds as if it could be.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh er, that was a morning and a half. Mind you, if Bran has got mobility/enthusiasm back even for a few days, you might well think it all worth while
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Oh bless him.

The joys of owning an elderly chap......

Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 04:37 PM
lfe is never dull with dogs!!! That's really interesting with Bran - I wonder if it will be a long term improvement. Hope so!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2009, 07:32 PM
OMG Claire I feel exhausted just reading this, it is probably a good thing your son was not with you at the time. I hope he is ok...

Regarding Bran, it may be that he associated walking with pain in his poorly knee and this continued long after the pain had gone.

Maybe the episode has erased all thought of his knee from his mind, 'it's an ill wind' as they say.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >