Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by rich c
OK, anyone else sometimes find themselves shedding a tear while reading a thread? Not because of the content, but because of the lack of attempt at correct spelling etc. I know it's a bit pedantic, but personally, I find it far easier on the eye to read a thread where people have at least made an attempt to use the language properly. I know I try and sometimes fail, I'm sure!

OK, pet hate rant over. Anyone who feels the same, post here. If you think I'm an obsessive fool, along with anyone else who agrees, start your own thread. Suggested title 'Dem speling freeks!'
Hi Rich,

I quite agree, I put a thread much the same as yours on another forum, (YES, it was THAT one, the one everyone knows, but doesn't mention) last year.

I wasn't trying to be horrible, it was just that I was trying to read a post and because it had loads of typing errors and there was no punctuation or full stops, it was one continuous message, that I lost the plot completely.

I could not make head nor tail of it, anyway, my post descended into a full scale riot !!

It was hilarious really, the best Sunday morning entertainment I'd had in a long time (apart from nookie that is !).

It was meant to be a serious post, not a mickey taking one.

The thing was, I was well aware that there are people on the forum, where English is not their first language and also people that are dyslexic and both those two categories of individual do very well considering that it is difficult for them.

I was not referring to that at all, I was referring to things like "teh" instead of "the" and the stupid things that are done because of quick typing and not taking a minute to check.

It only takes a few seconds to preview a post.

No offence meant to anyone, by the way.

Regards

Radar
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Ahhhhh I remember it well Jill!!!!
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I work in publishing so have to make sure grammar and spelling is correct - this resan is for wy me postes are alweys purrfect
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Ay? wot u on abart wos rong wiv usin text an slang an bad granma? Duno wot ur prob is.

I'm not commenting in case I make a spelling mistake and shoot myself in the foot and look like an idiot .
I do hate text talk though.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Ahhhhh I remember it well Jill!!!!

I thought you would
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Ay? wot u on abart wos rong wiv usin text an slang an bad granma? Duno wot ur prob is.

I'm not commenting in case I make a spelling mistake and shoot myself in the foot and look like an idiot .
I do hate text talk though.
Ay!! Is u turning into 1 of doze chavs innit Lucky??????
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I is alws drsd proply, nah wot i mean?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 09:03 PM
am ah bovvered?
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by rich c
OK, anyone else sometimes find themselves shedding a tear while reading a thread? Not because of the content, but because of the lack of attempt at correct spelling etc. I know it's a bit pedantic, but personally, I find it far easier on the eye to read a thread where people have at least made an attempt to use the language properly. I know I try and sometimes fail, I'm sure!

OK, pet hate rant over. Anyone who feels the same, post here. If you think I'm an obsessive fool, along with anyone else who agrees, start your own thread. Suggested title 'Dem speling freeks!'
OMG think I may have to go and proof read all my threads! I have to admit if Im feeling lazy I do put a (sp) next to it, but in general I do hope Im literate?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 09:45 PM
This is my PET HATE above all else!!!!!
I work in an insurance company and the standard of written English is appalling, this Company believes itself to be the bee's knees yet most of the employees from the Board downwards are barely literate.
Even the main door has a printed sign that reads "Please keep these door's (sic) closed". I feel the red mist rising every time I see it!!!!!

My father was very hot on correct use of English, spelling and grammar. This was despite his extremely humble background and limited formal education, but he felt that it was important and a means to better himself in his chosen career, which it did. All he did was believe that it mattered, and worked at it.

I think it rubbed off on me - or maybe I am becoming a grumpy middle aged pedant!
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »