View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kaz605
New Member!
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:10 PM

how long does it take to house train a puppy??

Hi i have had a rottweiler puppy for 1 nearly 2 weeks and she is still going to the toilet on the kitchen floor not in her designated room!! when she does it i say "no" and place in where i would like her to go!! please can anyone advise where im goin wrong?? many thanks.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Don't think you are going wrong but it's a long process that needs perseverence. Don't despair, you'll get there.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:16 PM
It takes on average 5 - 6 months to fully house train a puppy. Dont shout at your puppy for doing stuff in the house, ignore the bad behaviour and praise the good.
Pups tend to need the toilet after first waking up and after a drink & meal.
Remember your pup doesnt know house rules, its not the pups fault for making a mess its the owner for not knowing the signs. You will learn to see what signs your pup makes prior to doing its business and the body language is all part of the learning curve.
Dont worry its a long slog but you will get there. You have a very intelligent dog with the Rottweiler. It just takes time & patience.x
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:21 PM
No puppy is reliably housetrained until around 6 months old. The main thing is not to make an issue of it any soiling in the house - or this will stress the puppy and make matters worse.
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Took me 3wks and we Never had more than 2 WEE,S IN THE HOUSE/kITCHEN
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Dont say anything when it goes in the wrong place,but really make a big happy fuss when it goes in the right place

2 weeks is no time at all and she is still a baby. she will get there ,you just have to be patient
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Don't expect miracles! It will take much longer than a few weeks! A pup can't even 'hold on' untill at least 14 weeks...
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Just as everyone else has said, patience, praise and ignoring the mistakes.

I think we expect quite alot from our fur babies really. Charlotte wasn't dry 'till she was 2 years old!! good job there's nappies for human pups eh?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi Kaz A good question and it really depends what you mean by 'housetrained ' I will explain . Puppies vary breed to breed but in general do not begin to get control of their bladder and bowels until they are around four months of age, so when you are 'housetraining' you are teaching them where you wish them to go and taking them there at suitable times until they are capable of waiting or asking to go there themselves.

If we are vigilant and can watch and anticipate a puppy's actions, it may never soil in the house. My last puppy soiled twice in the house while I was training her..both times were of course my fault not hers.

So how quickly a puppy is clean in the house is up to the owner and the time and effort they put in to teaching it what is required taking into account a puppy will not soil in the correct place until it has learnt where to go and is rewarded for doing so, and a small puppy can't wait for long periods to be taken out because it has no control over its bodily functions.
This article may be of help ...
click here
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Amie
Dont say anything when it goes in the wrong place,but really make a big happy fuss when it goes in the right place

2 weeks is no time at all and she is still a baby. she will get there ,you just have to be patient
We went with the ignore the mistakes and praise her like mad when she goes in the right place method. Now at 1 year old, we still give Poppy (CKCS) a treat when she's been out to the toilet and tell her she's a good girl, she comes in and sits by the fridge waiting for her treat! But even at 1 year old, we have had an accident recently which I blame entirely on OH. He did Poppy's lunch and instead of letting her out to the toilet before she ate, he gave her her lunch, she ate it and of course she wanted to go before lunch but once she saw there was food on the go, she decided to hold it. Needless to say that by the time she'd eaten her lunch, she was desperate and couldn't hold it, so did a small wee on the lounge floor. Like I say, entirely OH's fault and I didn't tell Poppy off for it. But just goes to show, that even when you think they're entirely "housetrained", accidents can still happen.

Usually she can go 8 hours through the night, but on Monday night I was woken at 3.30am by barking, went downstairs and she was sitting by the gate of her playpen, I opened the gate and she flew out to the kitchen and sat at the back door and barked (her signal for needing the toilet), let her out, she did a wee and came straight back in.

The way I see it, sometimes humans can hold on for a while, other times we can't, dogs are just the same.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >