Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dujoiedevie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Yes you can train without food rewards but many of the things regarded as rewards have to be learnt about by dog in the first place (eg walks/forms of play/access to certain things) so it is a matter of finding what best motivates your puppy/dog to learn and in many instances this is food
Packdrive doesn't need learning, it is inbuilt in dogs. That we as humans can not use it, is a different thing. I hope nothing is lost in translation with this one.

Jenni
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Ok consider me a numpty but I am none the wiser what the hell we are talking about. I have successfully trained many dogs but sometimes jargon leaves me bewildered and I can't be the only one. well maybe I am but anyway is this what we are talking about?

It's really important that it be every day. Then it will not be painful. It will, however, teach the dog to tolerate mild discomfort, and to communicate to you when something hurts without turning around and biting you. It will also make you more aware of your dog's body language and help the two of you learn to move more smoothly as a team. You'll be able to guide your dog better with your hands in all other situations as you learn to do it in grooming.

The grooming is great for your dog's health, too, not only skin and coat, but all the other things you will notice before they become advanced problems. And the effects on a dog's obedience and cuddliness are just astonishing.
Another way to increase pack drive is to keep the dog with you. House dogs are part of the family, they develop many interactive behaviors with you, and they feel they belong. If your dog still needs crating at night, putting the crate in your bedroom instead of another room would increase pack drive.
If the dog does not require a crate, your bedroom floor is the perfect place for a dog bed. Pack drive is increased by a dog sleeping on the bed, too, but there are several circumstances in which that would not be a safe practice, and it is not necessary in order to have a great relationship with your dog.
The major way most people probably increase their dogs' pack drives is training. Harsh correction methods will increase defense drives, so you don't want that. If the dog perceives you as a fair leader who is generous with praise and other rewards, the dog not only increases in pack drives, but also increases its specific bond to you.
Petting also increases pack drive, so if you can use it as a reward for commands obeyed (praise is always the first reward, then petting if appropriate, or food or play), you're getting double-duty out of the training. Praise as a reward is so very important, for the dog to learn to love the sound of your voice, at the same time you practice and learn by experimenting just exactly how to use your voice to motivate your dog. Every dog is a little different. And good use of your voice requires regular practice.
When you take the dog away from the house with you, that seems to increase pack drive, too. You are the amazing leader who conducts these wonderful expeditions! Best if you don't take other dogs at the same time, since the bond to you is the most important one, not the bond to the other dogs. If you have multiple dogs, they need to each spend time alone with you regularly, in order to maintain a good bond with you and not be bonded just to each other.
Getting along well with another dog of opposite sex in the home probably increases pack drive, too, but if the choice of the other dog were not compatible with this dog, that would be detrimental. If other dogs are acquired too quickly, that would be detrimental, too, because as you can see from reading through this, the things that increase pack drive in your dog are things that involve you spending one-on-one time with the dog. Every new dog you add can challenge your ability to provide that for each of them.

if so then isn't this the way most of us train anyway?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I recently started a new training class with my 2 and it works with packdrive, the boy's are really loving it, the mistake I made was their pupy foundation class was treat orientated, but since starting the new classes I have seen a much more willing to please side to them.
opokki
New Member!
Female 

12-11-2006, 07:45 AM
How do you teach new behaviors using "pack drive"? Can someone give me an example? For instance, how do you teach a dog to "sit" using pack drive?
Greenluva
New Member!
Female 

12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
How do you teach new behaviors using "pack drive"? Can someone give me an example? For instance, how do you teach a dog to "sit" using pack drive?
You can only pick up some rough ideas in writing but to really learn you have to find a trainer working with the drives, most working gundog and protection dog trainers as well as sheep farmers work on the dogs drives and especially pack drive to develop the relationship, those using treats and stuff just rely on the dogs appetite and its attraction to the treat for recalls etc but the dogs relationship is with the treat, just look around to find someone, but, it all has to be taught properly writing only gives an idea of its existance, any training is the same in writing, sounds good but try and practice and its a different thing.
Meg
Supervisor

12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Greenluva some of us are a little confused about the methods you use and the breed of dogs you own, did you notice these posts .....

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=823954&postcount=43

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=823092&postcount=42

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=821669&postcount=36
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your post Trouble - I found it very helpful!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Post 68 and still none the wiser, are we talking about Modal theory ?
As in the relationship between emotional status and the cognitive and learning abilities of dogs?
http://www.dogstuff.info/modal_theor...ald.html#drive
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 01:15 PM
I would not reward a dog for stopping a bad behaviour as such, as some dogs are cleaver and do the bad behaviour in order to gain a treat, like a reverse of clicker training. I know dogs that bark as they know it will be given a food reward when they quiet for a second or two, some owners give pigs ears and the like to stop barking so its very worth the dogs time to continue the bad habbit. all dogs are individuals and respond to some methods better than others. with my own dogs I try to keep it fun and the dogs never know when a treat is coming and what it will be, it seems to keep them intrested, JMO
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 01:10 AM
1) do as i say to avoid the wresling match
2) Its my house
3) causs im telin ya
4) o.k dog shelter for ya
5) set the cat on ya if you dont get off the sofa now
6) just because i say so
7) no dinna for you think my roast lamb is more than enough for today eh
good old 1..........2..........2nahalf..........3 right your had it