Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Ovulation??

Not sure if I had to put this under health or the breeding section, so I've done both

Ok, our girl went to stud last Wednesday, we had a straight forward good mating with a 25 minute tie. Took her back on Friday for 2nd mating and the stud dog showed no interest in her what so ever, in fact he just fell asleep on the armchair . We used the Mate Tel test on her today, because of the reaction of Archie who we are looking after, and her eagerness to get to him, we had the results to mate within 24 hours, strong ferning pattern all over. So we're going back to stud this evening.

My question is, do you think the first mating was just an eager stud dog (he is experienced and normally only mates when the bitch is ready) or can bitches ovulate twice? or was she giving off a confusing scent that she was going to ovulate soon??

Thanks
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:13 PM
when i first started breeding i thought the stud was thick and it turned out it was me,the stud knows when she is ready and will usally only mate then,however i hope you get your second mating,he will know no matter how much she begs him,so dont worry
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
when i first started breeding i thought the stud was thick and it turned out it was me,the stud knows when she is ready and will usally only mate then,however i hope you get your second mating,he will know no matter how much she begs him,so dont worry
Okay- as I recently found out with my gang- when she would have accepted a male was wayyyyy too early before her progestrone and LH levels were ready.
There is also another thing to consider. The sperm will only live at max 3 days. Also- in most breeds ( if not all) prime progrestrone etc is day 8-14. Typical is 11/ 12 days. When free bred ( ie not inseminated) I did 9 days, then 11 and 13 days. However- remember this- two breedings is best because if you do 3 breedings and conceived the most pups on a earlier day, the female can go into labor when the most are ready- but the ones that are still too young, unfortunatly " have to come along for the ride. There for With two breedings- do day 11 and day 14..
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:13 PM
This is what I am saying, we took her on day 11....perfect mating....took her day 13.....dog not interested at all....today day 15, tested and is at her fertile period and to mate her within the next 24 hours.

She was 'up' for the mating on day 13, it was the stud dog that wasn't interested??

Well we're just off now, so keep everything crossed for us.
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
This is what I am saying, we took her on day 11....perfect mating....took her day 13.....dog not interested at all....today day 15, tested and is at her fertile period and to mate her within the next 24 hours.

She was 'up' for the mating on day 13, it was the stud dog that wasn't interested??

This is extremely common in my breed. And the reason we run progrestron and LH levels. I was taking any chances and just had my girl Artifically inseminated ( surgically) In April. Keep us in prayers as well. ( Galina)
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:41 PM

If you have not bred yet on day 15 and have some time- bathe the male in like oatmeal shampoo. That will remove the "residue odor" from him, making him more interested again.. ( do not bathe her..- but take a clean cotton rag and wipe her behind and wipe on the front of the chest- and on her back. This will make her odor stronger and the bath on him will uh "clear his nose" But just a mild bath like oatmeal shampoo.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Well it's now 11.45pm, we're just back from the stud dog and had a successful 45 minute tie.........so now we wait.

Good luck to you too borzoimom.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi, I think there are many misconceptions about ovulation to be found and progesterone based tests are only really useful when they show a rise of over 5 nanograms as this is the day of ovulation. Many tests are based on the 'initial rise' when progesterone levels increase by 2 or 3 nanograms, this is when the lutenising hormone (or LH) is released and this hormone is what causes ovulation. However, not all follicles respond immediately to LH are released so for progesterone testing to mean anything one has to test their bitch until she goes above 5 nanograms. All breeding is based on the day of ovulation and how long we expect the semen to live. Fresh semen will live 5, 6, 7 days in a bitch. I even read somewhere that Colardo State University had found it alive 11 days after mating in a bitch! An immature egg that takes 48 hours to mature and is viable to be fertilsed for about 36 hours so if we're using fresh semen, we can breed the day of, or the day after, she ovulates and expect the semen to live until the egg is ready to be fertilized.

This is the difference with AI as this semen only lives for about 12 hours (as it has been frozen)in the uterus so it has to be used when the egg is ready, so it is used 72 hours after ovulation. Fresh cooled semon will live about probably lives about 48 hours in the uterus, so that is used 2 days after ovulation.

So timing is needs to be based more on how long we expect the semen to live, rather than the day of ovulation.

There is some really interesting up to date information from Dr. Robert Hutchinson, he produces a free Canine Reproduction Seminar and I have checked these facts out through his works. You can find a link to his free seminars here; http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1224

Dr. Hutch is a Reproduction and Genetics consultant for the Veterinary Information Network, and is co-director of the Animal Clinic Northview, Inc., in North Ridgeville, Ohio.

He is also the president of the International Canine Semen Bank of Ohio, and advisor for College of Veterinary Medicine students interested in small animal theriogenology from Ohio State University, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Tufts, and Michigan State University.

Hope you find some helpful information there. XX
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Well it's now 11.45pm, we're just back from the stud dog and had a successful 45 minute tie.........so now we wait.

WONDERFUL!!! SAYING a prayer! lol
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 07:18 AM

Great news..I was just typing my reply as above and we cross posted. I'll keep everything crossed for you. X
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >