Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Glenrock
New Member!
Male 

26-09-2010, 09:33 AM

Change to raw diet

I have read recently that changing to a RAW DIET can generally improve a dog's health. I am particularly interested in the effects on skin allergies.
Has anyone tried this with success and if so could they explain what actually constitutes a suitable RAW DIET ?
In addition, what bones, for healthy teeth, are acceptable ?
If anyone agrees this is a good thing, what would they recommend as a daily intake for a 3 year old, 11kg, non-working, terrier ?
Apologies if this has been raised previously, but would greatly appreciate readers' inputs.
Many, thanks.
Glenrock.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I do feed raw 80% I guess, sometimes because I travel a lot with my dogs it is not appropriate so I still keep a little in their diet as to not cause upset tums.

I had a Stafford who had skin problems and a raw diet made it worse. I guess it depends what the offending cause is, others I know have changed to raw and it has completely solved the problems.

My dog was put on an exclusion diet for 6 weeks, that was a complete of Salmon and potato. We then started introducing different foods back to his diet. He had reaction to grains, even rice although it took longer to react to rice than wheat.
Chicken was an instant reaction. Beef and lamb the reaction took longer.

I didn't feed much pork so not so sure on that one.

So fish and potato it was. I did feed raw fish and he was fine with that but felt perhaps there was not enough variety so I went with a good complete like Wafcol, Wainrights and Fish4dogs in the fish and potato and added fresh fish and tinned fish for a bit of a break.

He had a white flash on his face and when he had a reaction you could see the skin turning bright pink under neath.
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2010, 01:43 PM
mine are fed a raw diet, i have 2 huskies and a staffy x whippet - we get our meat from pets @home we get the tripe and beef chunks and the beef mince they also have raw pork, and chicken with the bones and they occasionally get steak and lamb too not sure on how much to feed your terrier tho
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:12 PM
i have just switched daphni over onto raw food after a load of trouble i had with dry food.

i started her off on mixing in raw chicken meat, the stuff to buy from pets at home, with her biscuits, then slowly ive been dropping the ammount of biscuits and upping the meat.

however i have found a really good already prepared raw food. its called natural instinct. it comes frozen and is all in one pack. daphni gets fed 100g a day thats what the website recommended, 2-3% of their body weight they should eat. she absolutely loves the food, they do different flavours and its all complete so you dont have to worry about balancing everything out. im just about to start giving bone, so im going to substitute two meals a week with chicken wing bones.

hope i helped
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 02:28 PM
My pair a about the same weight as yours

I feed 200 - 300g a day most often meat chunks, mince or PAH packs
lamb, beef, pork, rabbit and tripe mainly
Once a week they get offal - liver or kidneys mainly
about twice a week they get bones - lamb, chicken or pork mainly - ribs most often, as a big treat they get oxtail

sometimes I bung some eggs in there, sometimes some tinned sardenes (they dnt like raw fish) some cooked meat and kibble as training treats and some table scraps if I feel like it
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Glenrock View Post
I have read recently that changing to a RAW DIET can generally improve a dog's health. I am particularly interested in the effects on skin allergies.
Has anyone tried this with success and if so could they explain what actually constitutes a suitable RAW DIET ?
In addition, what bones, for healthy teeth, are acceptable ?
If anyone agrees this is a good thing, what would they recommend as a daily intake for a 3 year old, 11kg, non-working, terrier ?
Apologies if this has been raised previously, but would greatly appreciate readers' inputs.
Many, thanks.
Glenrock.

My three are fed on a raw diet, sorry can't help with qualities, as they are alot bigger dogs, mine have tripe, rabbit, offal, white fish and sometimes chicken, i don't use pork,
Bruce my 5 yr old rottie who I got from the Rottweiler rescue trust, was in the rescue because he had been nearly starved to death, and he weighed only about half what he should have. and because of this he ended up having to have several ops because his tummy became twisted and ended up on medication, he was still struggling to gain weigh when he came to us a year later and he was on two of them vets dry food, So i took him along to my vets, who said he needed to come off the tablets because they have bad side effects for long term use {blindness, diabetes’s, etc } and have Hills diet instead {they stock hills }
I have always fed raw diet to my dogs and had no problems before, when i explain this the vet looked puzzled, and said i suppose it can't hurt, and told me to reduce the tablets slowly,
I introduced Bruce to a raw diet slowly, he gain weight and didn’t need the tablets,
and touch wood he hasn’t had any digestion problems since. But I have to watch his diet carefully; he can only have chicken occasionally, as that can upset him if he has to much.
hope this is helpful, I do believe a raw diet is what keeps my three healthy
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 08:59 PM
This was written by a friend of mine, may be useful for you.

What do I mean by healthy food? Most dogs are fed a processed food diet with the result that something like 75% of the canine population are obese. The most common health problems in pets today are diabetes and dental decay. Many dogs now suffer from the very same health complaints that humans have when eating a poor diet, heart disease, joint problems, behavioural difficulties...I could go on...however I think it's important to get to the point quickly here.
Shockingly most owners think they are feeding quality healthy food and it's not until I challenge their belief by asking them 'what is fresh or natural about your dogs food?' that they think about it. So GOOD is the social hypnosis that convinces them that processed junk food could be healthy ! YOU are not to blame, The pet food industry is worth billions of dollars currently making more than the tea and coffee market combined. Pet food makers can afford to spend lots on promoting (often being very misleading) their products using the latest techniques to draw you into buying...as a person trained in marketing, spin and hypnosis I recognise when an advert is using this...basically I can spot when I'm being hypnotised! The average person cannot.
So What Is Processed Food? how can you recognise it. If it's a dried biscuit 'so called' complete food, canned, baked with additives, man made or messed with in any way for someone to make money then it's processed 'junk' food Including some of the alleged 'holistic' brands.
How often do I hear this...My Vet Says I Must Feed Dried Food, Nothing else, no scraps and definately no HUMAN food. What would they say that for if it was bad for my dog???? Read the top paragraph again and ask yourself WHO is benefiting from your dogs' illnesses??? Not that I really blame vets, after all they only know the information given to them in training by the Pet Food Industry, unless they have an enquiring mind.... Baby fledgling vets with no experience tend to be the most obnoxious and pushy about their 'learnings' regarding feeding, they need to remember that when they qualify they set up a veterinary 'practice' in order to practice on their clients (yes folks thats your pet) and if they knew everything and were perfect I'm sure the RCVS would allow them to open a veterinary 'perfect'. How the hell can it be ethical for vets to push processed food, which is known to cause serious physical and mental health problems in HUMANS, and then make money off YOU and the suffering of your pet for giving this dodgy advice...this needs looking into and quickly.
Here are some of my favourite misdirection quotes, some by vets, to stop you feeding good things like raw food and bones to your dog.
1 Bones will stick in your dogs throat, stomach, it will choke or need an operation to remove them. Well TRUE,...shock horror if you feed COOKED BONES, when do dogs cook their food??? What you're not being told here is about all the other things that get stuck and need fishing out of dogs mouths, throats and stomachs, like bits of plastic toys chewed instead of bones, I know of at least one dog that died after splitting it's gullet from swallowing whole a dog biscuit, I know of dogs that choke on rawhide chews, a friend of mine had to have her dogs stomach opened up and then stapled back into place after the vet removed a soggy chew that attached itself to the dogs insides and caused a torsion.
Raw Bones keep your dogs teeth properly clean, how is it an option to have them cleaned under a potentially life threating anaesthetic and if you don't believe me about anaesthetic being dangerous then ask yourself, what do you have to sign a disclaimer accepting the risk of your pet dying for??
2 Your dog should not eat human food. Hilarious this one when you read the ingredients on complete dog food. Things like rice appear on the list, rice is a man made 'human food' when did you last see a dog planting rice in a paddy field?? Beet Pulp!! (basically sugar) I can't think of a time when I've seen wild dogs on any programme stopping to add sugar to their wildebeast supper, in fact when do dogs grow any crops, cook their food or use a can opener???
3 Raw Food causes your dog to have worms.....!!! Really only raw food??? Then how come your processed fed dog is being wormed monthly?
4 My all time favourite...You shouldn't feed raw as it gives them the taste for blood making them vicious, putting your children at risk.!!!
Very true the dog will get a taste for blood, the blood of cow, lamb, chicken, turkey, rabbit..see where I'm going with this? Unless you intend to start hunting children to chop up and feed to your dog it is not going to get the taste of human flesh and blood is it? In my opinion it is more likely for behavioural problems including agression to come out of a junk food diet .
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Jake is raw fed, and i love it, and so does he! he had problems with allergies, and after an elimination diet we found out the allergy was to the wheat and grain in dog food. he had constant problems for 6 months, but now on raw he hasnt had a reaction in 5 months!

i feed Jake chicken (i get a whole chicken and cut it up), beef, heart (lamb and ox), liver (ox), kidney (lamb and ox), lung (lamb), ribs (lamb, but wanting to try some beef too), ox tail, fish and rabbit.

Jake is 25kg, so he gets about 500g - 600g (give or take depending what he is being fed that day). i just adjust how much he gets depending on if his weight is staying steady, increasing or decreasing.

with a dog the size of yours, i would feed about 220g -300g.
Glenrock
New Member!
Male 

27-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Many thanks to those who replied to my questions regarding changing to a raw diet.
Lots of very helpful information.
Made a start and will change over gradually. Sam had a raw chicken wing today. Loved it ! Have also bought some doggy bones from the local butcher.
Best Regards to all
Glenrock.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
This was written by a friend of mine, may be useful for you.
Excellent!! Really made me chuckle, but so much truth behind the humour!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >