Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Books on HD and CCL injury

I have just noted in this week's Dog World that there are two new books on the above.

My Dog has Hip dysplasia and My dog has a Cruciate Ligament Injury.

They are by Hausler & Friedrich.

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...AC&redir_esc=y

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1...s_similarbooks

I have no idea how good they are.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Interesting but I have no idea how good they are. Have you searched the titles followed by the word 'review'. I guess it depends on how new the books are as to whether any reviews have been posted yet.
Good luck and hopefully someone else will post who may have some info on them.
Happy Christmas to you.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 02:48 AM
I have the book about HD. My Mom bought it for me because Jenzi has HD.

It's written very comprehensively and give example/analogies that are easy to relate to and understand. A lot of it is also commong sense.

If there is an owner who has NO idea about HD and hasn't done ANY of their own research but needs to know about it, I'd recommend this book. The beginning is quite simple to follow and you wouldn't need to know any medical terms to be able to get through it. There are also pictures of x-rays etc to show the difference betwen healthy hips and those that are affected - although people also need to realise that their own dog's diagnostic x-rays may look completely different to those in the book.

I am pleased my Mom bought it for me; but if it was left entirely up to me, I wouldn't have bought it for myself. I chose to do my own research when I first suspected there was something wrong with her hips and I've had plenty of advice from her vet since that time.

Also, the book isn't so useful if you already have an exercise regime for an affected dog but can give ideas for changes to be made as the dog gets older.