View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:08 AM

How long after feeding can I walk my dog?

I usually wait 2 hours, but I'm desperate to get out and it's only been an hour since a small breakfast? Is that long enough, or should I wait my 2 hours please???
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I always try to wait the 2 hours, just to be safe if they are going to be running around. People differ though but I would rather hang on a little bit than risk bloat and all the trauma that would bring.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I won't exercise an hour bpth sides of eating and touch wood have had no problems with this. Suppose it would also depend on the size of meal.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. Her breakfast was only a small cup of kibble and some mousse coz she's having 4 meals a day now (just to build her up again after her spey!), and it's almost been 1 1/2 hours, so considering my walk will be slow for another half hour before she will run a bit, I could be safe then?! You know what a worrier I am!!
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi Aitch,

With Sasha I usually walk her first so she builds up an appetite (not that she needs it) then feed her about 1/2 hour after. It's something I've done ever since I've had her and fingers crossed we have never had any problems.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks guys. Her breakfast was only a small cup of kibble and some mousse coz she's having 4 meals a day now (just to build her up again after her spey!), and it's almost been 1 1/2 hours, so considering my walk will be slow for another half hour before she will run a bit, I could be safe then?! You know what a worrier I am!!
I would say she will be fine

Or moreso, I would feel comfortable exercising at this point
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I usually give it an hour before exercise (or an hour after), and have never had a problem (fingers crossed!).

Hooray - I am finally getting out for a decent walk later. Hubby has promised to dig out the track and hopefully the snow plough will have been down the road so I can get off the hill and down to some woods. Really excited
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I wait an hour.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the input, I didn't know because like you Shane I have always done the exercise bit first, but at the moment, without the car, I just do a garden play at 7.30, fed them at 9 and go out for this second walk after feeding.

We walked slowly, and it took half an hour to get up to the green, we walked with a little 18 week old cocker spaniel, awwww, sooooo cute, and they had a good old play on the green, the poor thing was buried in all that snow up there too, good job it was a black one!!

Been home about 15 mins and breathing is totally normal, she's zonked out on her side, so I don't think I'll have a problem, and then it'll be lunchtime! Thanks again, really appreciated knowing this for future reference
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I wouldnt go under the hour long rule, but if you can give it an extra 15/30 mins great,

it must be a pain though working it out round 4 meals a day again, thats giving you a min of 8 hours round feeding that you cant walk her !eek! with so little day light on the go just now I bet your really piffed off

poss you could drop her to 3 meals, that would make life a bit better
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >