Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think a good way of getting the feel of a breeder is to talk to people who have there pups,. not just the show homes but the pet people to, thats when you find out how intrested they are in the breed, if only the show homes have a follow up and the pet dogs are left to get on with it, I would question there motives, x
This is one of the first things that has struck me about one of them, they have pics on their site of even the 'pet only' dogs which they have bred so that's always a good sign, was impressed by that as most just have the show dogs up.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I know I'm not a breeder who shows, but if I may add something?

I've found that as a prospective owner, breeders really love it if you have done your research about the breed and show knowledge and understanding. This is you all over Kel, I mean you aren't even planning on owning the pup for 2 years, that is dedicated research!!!

I am sure once you get chatting it won't be a case of you trying to 'prove yourself' so much as them wanting you to be a prospective owner, as they will see you are someone who will train, socialize and develop their precious pup. Rather than someone who wants a pup because it is cute or they saw it on TV etc!!:smt002

I'd say it is a breath of fresh air for a breeder to have a clued-up prospective owner asking them questions.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I know I'm not a breeder who shows, but if I may add something?

I've found that as a prospective owner, breeders really love it if you have done your research about the breed and show knowledge and understanding. This is you all over Kel, I mean you aren't even planning on owning the pup for 2 years, that is dedicated research!!!

I am sure once you get chatting it won't be a case of you trying to 'prove yourself' so much as them wanting you to be a prospective owner, as they will see you are someone who will train, socialize and develop their precious pup. Rather than someone who wants a pup because it is cute or they saw it on TV etc!!:smt002

I'd say it is a breath of fresh air for a breeder to have a clued-up prospective owner asking them questions.
Couldn't agree more. That's exactly what I found. :smt002
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 04:04 PM
As an aside...I think breeders are more cuatious with first time owners who want bitches? Just the impression I got.could be totally off the mark though.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As an aside...I think breeders are more cuatious with first time owners who want bitches? Just the impression I got.could be totally off the mark though.
I slightly agree with you but all my dogs I have owned are bitches but one.Reason being I prefer bitches,they seem to be easier to me in all aspects,xxxxxxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I slightly agree with you but all my dogs I have owned are bitches but one.Reason being I prefer bitches,they seem to be easier to me in all aspects,xxxxxxxxx
And lots of people do prefer them, but I felt people relax when I spoke to them when they found out I was after a male, rather than a female and that I had absolutely no intention of breeding, almost like a first hurdle conquered you know? And rightly so in many ways I think. :smt002
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanx AM, hopefully they will realise this as i've already been looking into the breed for about 3 years and I must have something to show for it, lol!

I had no questions with having bitches before but I think it shows now that the breeders of my girls weren't particularly fussed anyway, however this time i'm after a dog so perhaps that will lighten the load too A, I never really thought about that.

I think even I will make it pretty obvious through my chat that i'm genuinely interested in the breed, I think once we get chatting i'll be fine and they will be asking me to shut up, lol!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 10:21 PM
go with your gut and your heart babe, make some mates in the chosen breed first see who you trust
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I always vet my bitch owners carefully and as you know I restrict them as not to be bred from. Coming from the other side only one of my litter went to a home who wanted to breed, the puppy was restricted and I promised to remove the restrictions if the health checks were satisfactory. Out of all my puppy buyers this is the only owner not to keep in touch. Please don't think your pestering them any good breeder loves updates on ALL there puppies.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I have no issue with dog or bitch but the reason for that is If I dont like you ,
you wouldnt get a pup from me full stop
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >