Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Yes but what if they registered one litter with the new system and the next (incorrect) litter with the KC and not with the new one? How would the people running the new scheme know? The dams would be different on paper and all relevant DNA tests would match with the litter in the new system. The second litter wouldn't have to be registered with the new system at all. You'd then have unethical people in the scheme which would defeat the whole object.
I'm not sure, as I said it's not my idea, so I've not had the time to think these things through :smt042

However, I would think that from the outset, if you wanted to register with the new system, you would have to declare all dogs owned by yourself and obviously litters cross checked with the KC's BRS, and if puppies do pop up from another DAM that has no DNA profile, those breeders would then be taken off of the system, because if they were legit, they would have registered on the new system, not the KC !!

I suppose things like that could happen, but it would only take the one litter for them to be ousted from the system, instead of being allowed to continue.:smt102
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I'm not sure, as I said it's not my idea, so I've not had the time to think these things through :smt042

However, I would think that from the outset, if you wanted to register with the new system, you would have to declare all dogs owned by yourself and obviously litters cross checked with the KC's BRS, and if puppies do pop up from another DAM that has no DNA profile, those breeders would then be taken off of the system, because if they were legit, they would have registered on the new system, not the KC !!
I suppose things like that could happen, but it would only take the one litter for them to be ousted from the system, instead of being allowed to continue.:smt102
Are you saying that no-one would register their litters with both the new system and/or the KC? (Forgive me if I'm being thick - worked a 12 hour shift last night and haven't been to bed yet ) If they don't register their litters with the KC how would they exhibit at shows?

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 06:57 PM
My idea was to have a club that held shows as well!
Becky
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
My idea was to have a club that held shows as well!
Becky
Ahh OK. Now that I would be against. I don't think any other system would have the prestige worldwide that the KC shows have. The wins would mean next to nothing worldwide - just like the UKC in America, people tend view that as worthless.

Debs
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
wasnt that the intention when CDC started too?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:06 PM
CDC?
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Ahh OK. Now that I would be against. I don't think any other system would have the prestige worldwide that the KC shows have. The wins would mean next to nothing worldwide - just like the UKC in America, people tend view that as worthless.

Debs
Everything has to start somewhere, and if everyone thought the same as you, then nothing would ever get started

At the end of the day, I would rather have a 'Worthless' Rossette from a Show where only the best dogs and best breeders showed,so it actually meant something, than a 'Worthy' Rossette, where I was in the ring watching puppy farmers getting placed

Sorry, just my opinion.

Becky for what it's worth, I think it's a good idea, and would definitely sort out the creme from the cr*p.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks I had no idea it was actually going to be printed lol!
Becky
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Everything has to start somewhere, and if everyone thought the same as you, then nothing would ever get started

At the end of the day, I would rather have a 'Worthless' Rossette from a Show where only the best dogs and best breeders showed,so it actually meant something, than a 'Worthy' Rossette, where I was in the ring watching puppy farmers getting placed

Sorry, just my opinion.

Becky for what it's worth, I think it's a good idea, and would definitely sort out the creme from the cr*p.
No need to apologise Malady - I like a good natured debate

So, you have your shows, (this is the universal 'you' BTW not you personally ) you appoint judges to judge the dogs - what are they judging them against? The KC own the copyright for the breed standards. They cannot be reproduced with the KCs permission. They've been written in the very best way possible and to change the wording on them enough to avoid copyright infringement would make them practically unreadable. Not sure the KC would be happy to let you use their breed standards when you're in direct conflict with them!

Like I said before, I'm not saying it's a bad idea but there's so much more to it than meets the eye. Probably the reason it hasn't taken off when other people have tried it before

Debs
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:39 PM
One more thing before I drag my weary body back to work LOL

If I was to join the other system and not register my dogs with the KC, what happens when I want to show abroad? Even if I did register my dogs with the KC purely for that purpose, I could have been going to shows run by the other system for a while and, who knows, maybe even made my dog up to a Champion under their rules! But those awards wouldn't be recognised by any other KC (i.e. FCI, AKC, etc). So in theory I could show my Champion abroad in their equivilent of a novice class! Wouldn't exactly be fair would it?

Debs
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >