Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:26 PM

A New Registration System ?

I've just been reading comments from readers in OD, responding to the KC's Ronnie Irvings' outburst at refusing a Champions Class.

One reader suggested that Ethical, Responsibe breeders stand up, get together, and form a new Registration body where only Health tested, DNA profiled and only quality proven stock be registered.

This would oust some of the unethical breeders showing a half decent dog if it's progeny couldn't be registered I guess ! and also give pup buyers a better idea of where to look for a pup (Papers can mean nothing nowadays it seems !!). Many of us know that a KC Reg dog can be bred from with no questions/queries from the KC and it's progeny registered, no questions asked. Plus, with more recent problems of people's Stud dogs being registered as stud, to litters that the owners knew nothing about, because of the online registration system, surely this would be a good idea if only so that people knew that what they were buying was legit ?

What are everyone's thoughts on this ??
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey that sounds like a good idea. Not to clued up on how the process works at the moment, but this would seem to be a good way to stamp out the dodgy breeders!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I've just been reading comments from readers in DW, responding to the KC's Ronnie Irvings' outburst at refusing a Champions Class.

One reader suggested that Ethical, Responsibe breeders stand up, get together, and form a new Registration body where only Health tested, DNA profiled and only quality proven stock be registered.

This would oust some of the unethical breeders showing a half decent dog if it's progeny couldn't be registered I guess ! and also give pup buyers a better idea of where to look for a pup (Papers can mean nothing nowadays it seems !!). Many of us know that a KC Reg dog can be bred from with no questions/queries from the KC and it's progeny registered, no questions asked. Plus, with more recent problems of people's Stud dogs being registered as stud, to litters that the owners knew nothing about, because of the online registration system, surely this would be a good idea if only so that people knew that what they were buying was legit ?

What are everyone's thoughts on this ??
I read it too and it sounds a good idea.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
That sounds remarkably like my idea I posted that on the OD's forum!
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh it was me
Becky (still chuckling!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh I think that would be a great idea!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Hmm. Sounds good in principle but who's going to police it?

Also.. 'quality proven stock'? What would qualify as 'quality'? Some people have very different ideas on this. Who would say if the dogs were 'quality' or not? My idea of a dog decent enough to breed from could be, and probably is, different from a lot of other peoples'.

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work the whole thing would take. Who'd come up with the capital to start it all off? No-one could be expected to do all the paperwork without being paid a decent wage. The money coming in to begin with would all be going towards the running of it - not much left for wages.

It's something to think about but I think it needs to be looked into very deeply if it's to work at all - or even if people will be interested enough to carry it on.

Debs
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That sounds remarkably like my idea I posted that on the OD's forum!
Becky
Actually I meant to amend my OP, because it was in OD and not DW, and yes I think it was you Becky, and the strange thing is I actually thought of you when I was reading it :smt043
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Hmm. Sounds good in principle but who's going to police it?

Also.. 'quality proven stock'? What would qualify as 'quality'? Some people have very different ideas on this. Who would say if the dogs were 'quality' or not? My idea of a dog decent enough to breed from could be, and probably is, different from a lot of other peoples'.
Well for me personally, I would rather buy a puppy from a dog that has done well showing, than a dog that hasn't and is just advertised as 'qualiy'. If people know they have a quality dog and want to breed from it, there is no reason not to show to prove that !

It's the breeders that don't show, that most probably know, their dog isn't of breed standard and doesn't come up to scratch !

Originally Posted by surannon View Post
I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work the whole thing would take. Who'd come up with the capital to start it all off? No-one could be expected to do all the paperwork without being paid a decent wage. The money coming in to begin with would all be going towards the running of it - not much left for wages.

It's something to think about but I think it needs to be looked into very deeply if it's to work at all - or even if people will be interested enough to carry it on.

Debs
I don't think its a question of interest, as it's in the interest of every ethical breeder to set themselves apart from the unethical breeders, and this would be the way to do it, unless of course the KC actually came up with a scheme that meant something !!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Well for me personally, I would rather buy a puppy from a dog that has done well showing, than a dog that hasn't and is just advertised as 'qualiy'. If people know they have a quality dog and want to breed from it, there is no reason not to show to prove that !

It's the breeders that don't show, that most probably know, their dog isn't of breed standard and doesn't come up to scratch !

Debs
I don't think its a question of interest, as it's in the interest of every ethical breeder to set themselves apart from the unethical breeders, and this would be the way to do it, unless of course the KC actually came up with a scheme that meant something !![/QUOTE]

What's doing 'well' at showing though? Winning a few classes at Open shows? How many classes? Winning BOBs at Open shows? Class wins at Ch shows? Again, how many classes? And which classes? It's easier to win a novice class than it is an open class Stud book number? CCs? Groups? If I have a dog that isn't up to winning (and IS winning) CCs (or the equivilent) once it's matured, I don't show it - at all! To some people that would be going too far but that's what I would regard as a 'quality' dog.

What about people want a litter on consecutive seasons? Or even every season? What's to stop them registering one litter with the new system and the next with the KC under a different dam's name? Who'd police it? How would the new system operators find out?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea - just that it needs some serious thinking about. There's some devious people out there and unless any system has a bit of jurisdiction to oust the people that go against it there's not alot that can be done.

Debs
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >