View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I think there may be MANY reasons why this poor woman was given this house..
Did she split from the childrens father and have to be rehoused?
Does one of her kids have problems that needs to have its own bedroom?
Is the reason she doesn't work because she wants to bring up her OWN kids?
Is this not what the system is there for?

I met my husband while I lived with my parents in a 2 bed house..(I was 1
He lived in his own house that was left to him and his 2 brothers when his father died.. That house was put on the market and sold.. he then moved in with me at my parents that was in June 1995, we had our son in January 96 and still lived with my parents, we were married in Sept 96 and still lived with my parents...We couldn't afford a mortgage but hubby worked full time..I had an arguement with my Mum in February 1999 and we walked out.. we spent 6 months in a shared flat above a noisy pub with a drug addict and terrified old woman and an irishman who told me to beat my son with a stick..We finally were put into a "halfway house" in July and had to pay £76 per week for it!! Then we were finally offered a 2 bedroom flat in August 1999 which we accepted and it was in such a mess us took us until the 22nd September to make it livable! We have always paid full rent as hubby works FT and I work PT so I could bring up my OWN kids.. why should I pays someone else to spend time with my kids!

So.. we were married with a 3 year old son and my husband was working full time while I brought up my son and they still wouldn't give us a house and I had been on the housing list since I was 16..

so what was our other choice??

Live with my parents forever??

Or make ourselves homeless and be talked about??

I chose the latter and my thick skin got me through the gossip
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Im confused?
Does each council offer a different point system?
What if for instance a mother & her children needed to leave their home soon/quick say for instance she & her partner split up,
Would she be dismissed a home?
Would she be low on the points system?
Would she be lower than a homeless woman?
Do they take in account her income?
I have to say not everyone must have the same background to judge her eh?
Its not easy for anyone to be either applying for council housing or being in a situation she or he has to be in one, am I right or wrong?.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:44 PM
It works differently for each H/A and council i think.

When we lived in Staffordshire we had neighours from hell,a couple with one child that were up for eviction and the council nominated them to our H/A,who housed them in a 3 bed next to us.
When we questioned our H/A about there policy it was so they could expand their family if they wished and they wouldn't need housing again

Apparently this is also quite common those up for eviction get nominated to H/A again i find this wrong.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Is there ever a happy home in housing association housing then? Its sounds horrendous!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Is there ever a happy home in housing association housing then? Its sounds horrendous!
In my experience they are very slow to deal with problems of nusience neighbours and anti social behaviour,we have lived in both Council and H/A and i prefer council,they are slow to do repairs but do tackle nusience neighbours and asb quickly.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
In my experience they are very slow to deal with problems of nusience neighbours and anti social behaviour,we have lived in both Council and H/A and i prefer council,they are slow to do repairs but do tackle nusience neighbours and asb quickly.
And do you get alot of ASB & Bad Neighbours?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 10:02 PM
We've had two lots of bad neighbours,
The first lot were issued a noise abatement order from the council,they were brilliant and sent inependant noise officers out,they gave us an out of hours number to ring.They witnessed the noise lots of times.He also kept taking the bolt of the gate to the shared access,and run all his guttering into ours which didn't impress the council at all.
On the other hand Our H/A was useless and told us to get in touch with Environmental health,they didn't do out of hours and never solved the problem which esculated and they started complaining about us and the dogs barking eetc,we just moved on.
I think alot depends on the area.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
HELLO!!!

that sounds about right!
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I have no experience of nuisance neighbours (touch wood) but it seems to me that the housing associations are quicker to do repairs than the council. Experiences with council estates do depend on where you live. I grew up on an estate that I think is ok.

Luz, people apply for council housing for different reasons but I reckon the most common reason is because it's usually a lot cheaper. It's also a good way of getting onto the property ladder through the right to buy scheme that many councils offer.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I suppose I'm quite lucky as I have never had to apply to the local council or a Housing Association in my life, I couldn't tell you how they worked.
I left home at 16 and worked full time, until I was old enough to get onto that property ladder I privately rented a two bedroom flat from people my Grandparents knew, I wouldn't have got anything from the council as I wasn't made homeless and I wasn't pregnant so I doubt seriously that they would have been much help if I had of gone to them as all I wanted back then was my independance, nothing more.
I rented the flat from friends of my Grandparents until I turned 19 then brought my first place which was a studio flat - not a lot but at least it was mine and something that I had worked extremely hard for.

It does make me angry when you do get young folk that have never worked an honest days work in their lives churn out the children to completely milk the system infact it makes me even angrier to know whilst I work hard I'm paying for them to sit on their backsides and do nothing apart from drag their kids up and worry about when that next benefit cheque is going to be paid.
I don't have a problem with genuine people who need help to get away from say - an abusive partner, or those that have just divorced with families and need housing etc.
The only I problem I have is with those that purposely become pregnant to get what they want who have no intention of working in their lives - whatever happened to having a work ethic and working hard for what you want in life?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >