View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I know how the housing works, and I in no way blame the council for the rules that need to be followed, as its the rule that are the prob,
it still means that if a person gets kicked out perposely by there parents and they have a child they get first priorty as they are classed as homeless, even if the parents had enough room for them
I think the rules make it to easy to be classed as homeless, I know several people who have done this just to get a council house, even moved out of private into there parents for afew months just for there parents to kick them out
and the council can't do a thing about it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-04-2007, 08:16 PM
In Harlow you wouldn't be offered a house you would be offered a flat and only if you had a Child or children.You cannot be on the waiting list anymore when housed by them for a house because we now have a bidding system.
It doesn't affect me personally because we are buying our house but know this from my Sons ex partner who has 3 Children not all my Sons I hasten to add and she is still in a 2 bed flat no garden 5 years on.Partly her fault I must admit as she doesn't make paying her rent top priority and she cannot be bothered to put the effort in to do the bidding for a house.
I do feel for those people that do pay their rent on time they should be offered a house with a garden if they have children it is very unfair that some Children are not able to have a garden to play in.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
I know how the housing works, and I in no way blame the council for the rules that need to be followed, as its the rule that are the prob,
it still means that if a person gets kicked out perposely by there parents and they have a child they get first priorty as they are classed as homeless, even if the parents had enough room for them
I think the rules make it to easy to be classed as homeless, I know several people who have done this just to get a council house, even moved out of private into there parents for afew months just for there parents to kick them out
and the council can't do a thing about it
I know what you mean, and believe me, there is nothing more frustrating than having to deal with an applicant who you know is lying through their teeth but there's nothing you can do about it because they have a whole host of people who are also willing to lie for them and back up their story

Although, these days, simply being awarded homeless status will rarely be enough to get you house quickly due to the chronic shortage of social housing in the majority of areas. Simply being young, pregnant and 'kicked out' of the family home might guarantee you are declared homeless but it doesn't mean you will be housed right away. Which is ok in the case of those that are simply playing the game to get housed but pretty tough for the genuine homeless families
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
I know what you mean, and believe me, there is nothing more frustrating than having to deal with an applicant who you know is lying through their teeth but there's nothing you can do about it because they have a whole host of people who are also willing to lie for them and back up their story

Although, these days, simply being awarded homeless status will rarely be enough to get you house quickly due to the chronic shortage of social housing in the majority of areas. Simply being young, pregnant and 'kicked out' of the family home might guarantee you are declared homeless but it doesn't mean you will be housed right away. Which is ok in the case of those that are simply playing the game to get housed but pretty tough for the genuine homeless families
You are completely right, and its totally unfair on the genuin people
the type of people Im on about don't usually even spend much time in the b and b they are supplied with, they stay at there parents, argggg
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Now this is all new to me and Im keen to understand it.
If you are a single parent and need a new home fast with 2 young children, (we obviously dont know her financial circumstances) but her being a single parent with kids does she go straight to the top of the list?
I understand there is a points system but can never understand how points are awarded, if thats the right grammer for it?
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:40 PM
i am a single mum of 2, we also live in a 3 bed H/A house.
i work full time - and i pay the full rent!!

but what really ticks me off is the kids that have kids as soon as they finish school! and then to make it worse they just keep having them, they don't work at all (and have no intension of), they get all the benfits going and are laughing.
here is an example,
a woman up the road, also lives in a 3 bed H/A house, doesn't work - nor her other half, she is expecting her 9th baby - yes 9th! i'm deadly serious. they are very squashed in a 3 bed, but good cos that takes the p**s!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post

but what really ticks me off is the kids that have kids as soon as they finish school! and then to make it worse they just keep having them, they don't work at all (and have no intension of), they get all the benfits going and are laughing.
here is an example,
a woman up the road, also lives in a 3 bed H/A house, doesn't work - nor her other half, she is expecting her 9th baby - yes 9th! i'm deadly serious. they are very squashed in a 3 bed, but good cos that takes the p**s!
9th
I dont even pay for there kids
there is nothing wrong with being a single parent, its cases like the above that really do it for me
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post

here is an example,
Sorry if I caused offence,that certainly was not my intention.
You also have two children that are different sexes,which is completely different.
I just think it's wrong and unfair for single parents with only one or two children of the same sex to be awarded 3 bed properties when so many families need them.
We were in a two bed house for ages with 3 children sharing one small bedroom.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:00 PM
its ok sal, no offence was taken honey!!
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Sal's neighbour would have been offered that house after it had been offered to those more in need so I bet she got lucky with that one. Nottingham City Council allocate properties using a bidding system whereby applicants are placed in a band. Band 1 is the highest and is the homeless, the lowest is band 6 which is for prisoners and those away in the army. They advertise properties, telling you which band can bid for the property and whoever has been in that band the longest gets the property.

I think this is a fair way of allocating but what annoys me is the fact that people who have no intention of working but will happily have kid after kid get houses with gardens and don't pay rent. I'll get offered a one or 2 bedroom flat or a maisonette if I'm lucky and of course will be paying rent. It's well annoying. I'm not saying single parents shouldn't have houses at all but there is no incentive for the ones that can work to work. I know how hard it is to raise a family single-handedly, my mother did it for long enough but some people just want to have kids, claim benefits and that's it.

I suppose I shouldn't complain because at least I can get a decent property. In London I would stand absolutely no chance of even getting on the council list unless I got myself up the duff...
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >