View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 01:37 AM
In my experience food is the way to a Labs heart! Have you tried different more "tasty" treats like liver cake. Give him this only when he's being extra good. Should get him going a bit hopefully!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 01:33 PM
The problem with Riley is that he's not a typical Lab when it comes to food..

We have to put gravy on his biscuit things to get him to eat them and he doesn't always eat his food down in one go - He has a walk around the house then goes back to it and stuff - It takes him about an hour to eat it sometimes!!

He'll stand and stuff for treats but he doesn't seem that bothered about it when he's running. I tried some sausage and chicken at a little companion show yesterday but it didn't make much difference at all, other than he jumped at my hand a couple of times lol He still trotted around as though he was out for an afternoon stroll

Oh, and he doesn't like liver! I do wonder if he is actually a lab - Maybe the vets swapped a puppy when they were born!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Jessica
do you feed the day before a show? Depending on the dog it may help to miss a feed before the show to make sure hes hungry....works for 2 of mine but not the other
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, we feed ours twice a day (morning and night) and we dont give them the food in the morning of the show. I haven't tried skipping the night before though - I guess that could be worth a try!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Well done to you, keep up the good work!
Dawn.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
Well, we feed ours twice a day (morning and night) and we dont give them the food in the morning of the show. I haven't tried skipping the night before though - I guess that could be worth a try!
I would try firstly missing his feed the night before and see what difference that makes.If that doesn't help then try feeding him both the night before AND his morning feed.One of my boys won't show on an empty stomach!..the other 2 are like jack in the boxes and would do back flips if a bit hungry so it depends on the individual dog
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Will try that when we go to our next show!

Its really odd that Riley has got like this, when he was younger he was really good at the showing and it was Meg who wouldnt do it! Now she's the perfect show dog and Rileys naughty!lol Megs great though - I say 'stand' and she stands perfect square, 'stay' and she literally freezes until i tell her she can move and then she runs perfectly next to me!! As you say, its how the individual dogs are.. But i wish he was more like his sister I think its cos she's more intelligent than Riley...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2