Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I hate to admit this, but I thought saline solution was only for contact lenses. I don't have any. Just clean pure water do the job?
Saline/salt water - one of the best wound cleansers there is. Cooled boiled water from the kettle - 1 pint to 1 teaspoon salt. Ordinary salt is fine. Just allow the salt to dissolve then apply with cotton wool.

You can also use saline solution for contact lenses if you have any, and you're sure it's fresh and uncontaminated (i.e. if the nozzle of the bottle/spray hasn't touched anything, and it's not been sitting on the bathroom shelf for the last year).

Edit: see, I was beaten to it by others in the know
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Get yourself some saline pods from any on line chemist/vet.

They are handy as they will always be sterile (unlike when you have a large bottle and keep using it); cheap, portable.

I have a couple in my small FA pouch, loads more in the car FA Kit and a stock at home.

Useful for you (eye wash) and for wounds for you and dog!

It is then instant you do not have to boil water, add salt and wait for it to cool down, and it will always be sterile.
I have these (for my own medical needs, but come in useful for dogs ), but theres often a time you have run out, or if you are someones house/on holiday etc and not got any - so I think it's good to know how to knock some up quickly
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I hate to admit this, but I thought saline solution was only for contact lenses. I don't have any. Just clean pure water do the job?
Just cooled boiled water will do just fine chick...Please don't panic xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.firstaidwarehouse.co.uk/x...25_x_20ml.html

This is what I use.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Lily tipped her dew claw outer nail completely off a few weeks ago and severed the quick inside so we had blood everywhere.
I always use flour to stop the bleeding as it works immeadietly. I then put a loose bandage on to stop her licking at it until she had an appointment at the vet the next morning. They cleaned it up and then left it open to the air to heal.
They said flour is the best thing to use in cases like this as it works, doesn't sting the animal and you usually have it in the house to hand.
To clean it you can use plain boiled water with a little salt added.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful tips and recipes!

I got to the vets this morning, they said I did well to get it to stop bleeding and it looked alright. They've told me to make sure it's kept dry and not licked and to keep an eye out for infection. They'll see him in a week.

Phew! It's not bled or bothered him since yesterday, so hopefully all good now Thanks for your help guys, helped keep me calm!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3