Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
lol im peeling myself off the ceiling

the fleshy bit? nooooo why would u? only clip hanging off nail!

if u are unsure... vet it is
I thought we were just talking about the nail?..might just be me, been one of those days
I only use flour if its the end of the nail come off & the quick is bleeding a touch..

I'd go to the vet, does look quite sore bless.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Oh no, I feel really bad! I only but a bit if flour on because it would not stop bleeding! I used wiped gently with salt water and tried gentle pressure to try and stem the flow. (It wasn't pouring out, don't get me wrong, but was continually bleeding).
He didn't seem to flinch or wince or anything, so I assumed I was helping. The good news is the bleeding has stopped, hopefully the vet can help tomorrow.
My poor boy, I hope I haven't made it worse or hurt him too bad
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I don't think you have, but I'd give it a good clean with saline to remove the flour, pat it dry, and if it looks like it's going to start bleeding again, or if you think he might knock it, or lick it too much, cover it overnight. But better to let it dry out I think. Have a look in the morning if it's had a chance to dry, it might look a lot better and not need the vet after all, but do go to get it looked at if you're not sure. You may not need to see the vet, it's something a nurse can probably help with.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Oh no, I feel really bad! I only but a bit if flour on because it would not stop bleeding! I used wiped gently with salt water and tried gentle pressure to try and stem the flow. (It wasn't pouring out, don't get me wrong, but was continually bleeding).
He didn't seem to flinch or wince or anything, so I assumed I was helping. The good news is the bleeding has stopped, hopefully the vet can help tomorrow.
I wouldn't worry too much, if he was in pain, he would soon tell you (males are good at that 2 or 4 legged ) The main thing is that the bleeding has stopped You did well to stop it...the vet will probably give you ab cream or tablets to be on safe side.

Let us know how he gets on

Bev x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I don't think you have, but I'd give it a good clean with saline to remove the flour, pat it dry, and if it looks like it's going to start bleeding again, or if you think he might knock it, or lick it too much, cover it overnight. But better to let it dry out I think. Have a look in the morning if it's had a chance to dry, it might look a lot better and not need the vet after all, but do go to get it looked at if you're not sure. You may not need to see the vet, it's something a nurse can probably help with.
I hate to admit this, but I thought saline solution was only for contact lenses. I don't have any. Just clean pure water do the job?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I wouldn't worry too much, if he was in pain, he would soon tell you (males are good at that 2 or 4 legged ) The main thing is that the bleeding has stopped You did well to stop it...the vet will probably give you ab cream or tablets to be on safe side.

Let us know how he gets on

Bev x
Thank you
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I hate to admit this, but I thought saline solution was only for contact lenses. I don't have any. Just clean pure water do the job?
You can make your own (not sterile, but good enough for cleaning wounds).
I always used it for cleaning new piercings(!) on the piercers advice, but use it all the time on cuts/scrapes on animals....

I'm sure people make different strengths, but I was always told 1tsp of [table] salt, to 1 pint of boiled water - let it cool down before using, and keep a lid on it when not in use. But only keep it for 24 hours.
I find it easy enough to make a new batch up every time I need it though, even if it is a few times a day - only takes minutes.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
You can make your own (not sterile, but good enough for cleaning wounds).
I always used it for cleaning new piercings(!) on the piercers advice, but use it all the time on cuts/scrapes on animals....

I'm sure people make different strengths, but I was always told 1tsp of [table] salt, to 1 pint of boiled water - let it cool down before using, and keep a lid on it when not in use. But only keep it for 24 hours.
I find it easy enough to make a new batch up every time I need it though, even if it is a few times a day - only takes minutes.
Thank you, very helpful
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Get yourself some saline pods from any on line chemist/vet.

They are handy as they will always be sterile (unlike when you have a large bottle and keep using it); cheap, portable.

I have a couple in my small FA pouch, loads more in the car FA Kit and a stock at home.

Useful for you (eye wash) and for wounds for you and dog!

It is then instant you do not have to boil water, add salt and wait for it to cool down, and it will always be sterile.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:19 PM
No problem!
Just make sure whatever you are using to clean (e.g cotton wool) - you never put it back in the water! Use each piece only once (sounds simple I know, but so easy to just dip it back in!)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >