Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:40 PM

What's got into him?

I'm guessing it's hormones but Blu keeps trying to mount Cheeko. He has been near in season bitches at shows etc but he's trying it with Cheeko and Cheeko won't tell him off! He is chasing him all over the house. When Cheeko jumps up high Blu starts whining and kicking his back legs. We have caught him a few times lifting his leg around the house!! Luckily he hasn't peed anywhere because we have caught him in time but is there any sprays etc to stop it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:58 AM
In-season bitches at shows? I hope not! More likely closer to home.
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I'm guessing it's hormones but Blu keeps trying to mount Cheeko. He has been near in season bitches at shows etc but he's trying it with Cheeko and Cheeko won't tell him off! He is chasing him all over the house. When Cheeko jumps up high Blu starts whining and kicking his back legs. We have caught him a few times lifting his leg around the house!! Luckily he hasn't peed anywhere because we have caught him in time but is there any sprays etc to stop it?
Hi, I am assuming that Blu is fairly young. if you are showing him I know he has to remain entire probably, but there is only really one way to stop this unwanted behaviour and that is castration, and then unless done early enough I have know dogs still continue with this behaviour.

I stick to Bitches myelf as I dont want this behaviour, I had one male dog and he was entire and he made no attempt with my Bitch ever. Most male dogs arent like this, but yours sounds like he would mount anything and if he is trying to pee indoors, stop this before it becomes a habbit.

If he is this bad, watch he behaves himself if children are around.

Best of luck !!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Castration does not stop it if an in season bitch is in the vacinity, all my neutered males will try to mount an in season bitch, I just tell them to 'get off', 'pack it in' or 'Oi' train them not to do it it's not that difficult. If it's two males the same applies, even castrated males will try to mount each other, some times it's just displaced energy.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
In-season bitches at shows? I hope not! More likely closer to home.
For one show I travelled with someone who took her in season bitch. Blu was in a crate but she kept sticking her bum up to him winding him up! We've been to a few shows with in season bitched and when he can smell them it's a total waste of time.

Originally Posted by Maureen19 View Post
Hi, I am assuming that Blu is fairly young. if you are showing him I know he has to remain entire probably, but there is only really one way to stop this unwanted behaviour and that is castration, and then unless done early enough I have know dogs still continue with this behaviour.

I stick to Bitches myelf as I dont want this behaviour, I had one male dog and he was entire and he made no attempt with my Bitch ever. Most male dogs arent like this, but yours sounds like he would mount anything and if he is trying to pee indoors, stop this before it becomes a habbit.

If he is this bad, watch he behaves himself if children are around.

Best of luck !!
He is just over a year old. Even when hanging the washing up, taking off a jacket he tries it with that too

We have only ever had dogs because of bitches coming into season but Cheeko has been neutered. When he goes to lift his leg we rattle a tub with some stones in it because it's the only noise that stops him! Same when he starts with our leg. I wish Cheeko would just give him a telling off.

He is great with kids because the breeders kids were always around so he loves seeing them. It's just other dogs,our legs, jackets etc he starts with.

I know using him at stud won't solve it but if/when I use him will it make his behaviour worse?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Please think very carefully before using your dog Blu as a stud. From your profile I note you have never bred a litter. Folks usually get into breeding dogs by starting with a bitch of proven worth, rather than with a dog for stud. It is difficult for a new breeder to start off with a stud dog as there are many "proven" quality stud dogs out there to choose from. It may well make your Blu more difficult to manage and it sounds as if there are problems already. If he is a pet or companion dog you need to ask yourself is being a stud the right thing for my "pet" dog.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Please think very carefully before using your dog Blu as a stud. From your profile I note you have never bred a litter. Folks usually get into breeding dogs by starting with a bitch of proven worth, rather than with a dog for stud. It is difficult for a new breeder to start off with a stud dog as there are many "proven" quality stud dogs out there to choose from. It may well make your Blu more difficult to manage and it sounds as if there are problems already. If he is a pet or companion dog you need to ask yourself is being a stud the right thing for my "pet" dog.
I've thought carefully about it and still am. I've had people ask about using him and I would ask his breeder if she approved of the bitch as she has already agreed he can be used at stud aslong as he is PRA clear and he should be as his pedigree is. He is a quality dog who I think would help improve the breed but only if he gets over his issues after being attacked would I use him. All proven dogs started out as an unproven dog.

He is a pet dog as I think all show dogs should be. Next year I may decide to get a bitch, I'm not sure yet it depends how I think Blu would react while she is in season and trying to keep them seperated!
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes I agree with you Stud dogs have to begin somewhere, but from how he behaves I am not sure I would use him for breeding.

They dont miss what they havent had is the old saying and although I have never bred I knew several that did during my kennel owning years in Yorkshire and most of these dogs were not kept as pets but Kennel dogs at the breeders and they carefully chose which dogs to mate with which for the best puppies - mainly Sharpei breeders used my kennels. They were treated very well with walks etc but not actually kept inside the home and most told me that this can increase the sex drive once they have mated with a bitch...

Gees - there is no way I would have a dog like tht in my home humping everything but the kitchen sink.... for one thing they tend to get very smelly stud dogs and back to the peeing problem.

If you still insist on going ahead with this (I think you will regret it but that aside), I wouldnt tolerate humping and he would get very cold water sprayed in his face every time he tried it.

I presume you dont have children at home, because sure as eggs is eggs, its only a matter of time before he will start humping them aswell.... and I wouldnt allow a dog like this in my home I am afraid. Stud dogs are best kept in propert purpose built accommodation.

Sorry but Humping dogs give me the creeps !!!!
Good Luck you may need it.
Kind regards Maureen.
OOOh get this one Castrated and if you must breed, get one that is on more of an even keel.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Ok well

1. I never said for sure I'm using him at stud. I've been looking and still am.

2. I would never keep any dog of mine in 'purpose built accommodation'. As far as I'm concerned all dogs should be kept in the home. Depends on how lazy you are on wanting to deal with the behaviour!! Hence I made this thread asking advice.

3. He is a show dog so he isn't getting neutered because he enjoys showing.

No children in the house but he is great with the kids he knows. He was like this in my friends house because her bitch had just came out of season. He kept having a go at her until she gave him a good telling off and after that he stopped. So I wish Cheeko would tell him off because he's letting him away with it.

I have friends who have dogs similar to Blu, live in the house as stud dogs with bitches too so if I decide to go ahead I think I will be asking them for advice instead
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi, I really was not being offensive at all to you and you will do what you will do in the end.

Its true I have never bred dogs or wanted to but have had 15 years running Yorkshire Int Quarantine centre and also associated boarding kennels and over that time have had on most days 300 dogs in my care (with numerous staff members its true).

A good deal of my Quarantine dogs and cats were brought over by air and they served their period of Quarantine with us and around a quarter of all our dogs and cats were from breeders so I do know a little of what I am talking about. These were highly respected breeders may I add whose dogs offspring were in demand all over the world mainly to the States.

I delivered many of the litters myself and these dogs were very valuable, so please accept I do know a little.

Of these breeders, they had their own pet dogs who lived with them but the majority had fantastic accommodation in blocks outside, real luxury they were and the dogs wanted for nothing.

But from the breeding dogs that came thorugh our kennels it was clear they could not be house dogs as they werent too good on the housetraining bit either. I would never condone keeping puppy farms but these were respected breeders I dealt with and their kennels were spotless as were mine.

I wish you well if you go ahead with breeding you dog, but ONE thing I DO know is that very little actual profit is made from a litter of pups when all the costs are paid up to vets etc. So good luck to you and I really hope it works out for you and that your Boy turns into a good house dog and stops this behaviour eventually.
Kind regards,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >