View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
When I have more time, I'll dig it out. Whilst we're at it.... where is the logic in recommending an additive food when the claim is that of being a complete and balanced food if not commercial?

Thankyou
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I would be worried about the amount of salt in the prepacked meats... how about if you cook a joint of meat putting a few offcuts of those in or like Hevvur said a tin of fish in either oil or water, not brine
This would be my main concern,the salt content.
I prefer to add a small amount of quality wet food burns etc. or some pilchards/sardines although only a small amount as they can be quite salty also
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
How was that proven?
It wasn't proven as I recall, but was attributed to the reasons for kidney failure due to an imbalance/too rich protein diet by adding meat to kibble as routine.

So no proof I'm afraid regarding that statement. I am becoming more and more leary of commercially prepared 'complete' foods for dogs. I'm not about to argue quite vigorously about it either as I haven't the facts at my finger tips, but they are out there.

And anyone who wants to argue about it, try doing your own research, but stay clear of the 'pet' sites.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
It wasn't proven as I recall, but was attributed to the reasons for kidney failure due to an imbalance/too rich protein diet by adding meat to kibble as routine.

So no proof I'm afraid regarding that statement. I am becoming more and more leary of commercially prepared 'complete' foods for dogs. I'm not about to argue quite vigorously about it either as I haven't the facts at my finger tips, but they are out there.

And anyone who wants to argue about it, try doing your own research, but stay clear of the 'pet' sites.
FALSE. High protein diets do not affect dogs with normal renal function. That myth was dispelled a long time ago.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
FALSE. High protein diets do not affect dogs with normal renal function. That myth was dispelled a long time ago.

Are you a nutrionist?
AndrewDCFC
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 10:29 PM
As one user suggested here, Im going to buy some fresh turkey slices from a local butcher. Just wanted to chip in with this so people didnt think I'd read their responses.
It's a bit too risky to give him the meat I was talking about. It's definitely better quality than what goes into dog food, but still it is not made for doggy consumption.
AndrewDCFC
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Haha, my thread has over 180 views People must be interested to see what bizarre concoction I serve up to my dog. LMAO!!
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Yu can buy ready cooked chicken with nothing on it if you're feeling really lazy!

I'd save things like human hams (that humans eat not human meat obv. )and the like as high value treats for training.

Incidently, whilst it's true that high protein diets do not contribute to renal failure in dogs, adding a cooked sandwich meat to a dogs kibble isn't a great idea imo for a variety of reasons, some of which have been explained. Magic is right I believe in saying that nutritionally, adding an extra to a complete food is defeating the purpose a bit as you have to really watch the nutrition levels and adjust accordingly. But having said that dogs are very adaptable and I'm not a canine nutritionist
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by AndrewDCFC View Post
As one user suggested here, Im going to buy some fresh turkey slices from a local butcher. Just wanted to chip in with this so people didnt think I'd read their responses.
It's a bit too risky to give him the meat I was talking about. It's definitely better quality than what goes into dog food, but still it is not made for doggy consumption.
You're obviously not very happy about your dog food, have you considered a barf diet for your dog. I've heard an awful lot of good reports about it but as yet haven't made the transition.

I have fed some raw here and there in the past, my jrt lacks a lot of teeth so I haven't been too keen to feed one raw and not the other knowing that the wee one loves raw.

I'm considering to switch though, commercial food I reckon is just that - commercial, crap in a bag lol!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Is sandwich meat ok to add to his james wellbeloved kibble? I'm not sure if Im describing correctly as sandwich meat, but what Im talking about is slices of roast chicken or beef or turkey that you buy in those resealable plastic packets. I cut the meat up into smaller pieces then mix it into his kibble. Started doing this about two days ago. Does anyone know if this healthy or not, or how often doing it would make it unhealthy?
Hi Andrew, I am not sure why you would want to do this

A lot of these products contain high levels of salt, some have colouring and additives. I wouldn't eat them myself and I wouldn't give them to my dog either .

If you wish to add something to his kibble there are plenty of alternatives eg sardines in oil (tip the excess oil away) cheap cuts of chicken like thighs which you can cook in bulk and freeze and there are some good wet dog foods to like the Burns tinned food which has a high percentage of fish.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >