View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lynnandian
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2008, 11:17 PM

1 year old puppy pawing anything soft and cuddly!

Hi again, can anyone explain this behaviour? My puppy whom has just gone 1 year old (2oth august) has always dragged and pushed then lay on anything soft and cuddly then puts a bit in his mouth and 'paws' with his paws until he falls asleep. The motion is like he is padding the soft area with his paws (hope that makes sense) what is he doing and why? He did this from being young but does it every now and again still? What is it? It doesnt bother us, just wondered what it meant. Thanks for your answers Lynn and Ian
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by lynnandian View Post
Hi again, can anyone explain this behaviour? My puppy whom has just gone 1 year old (2oth august) has always dragged and pushed then lay on anything soft and cuddly then puts a bit in his mouth and 'paws' with his paws until he falls asleep. The motion is like he is padding the soft area with his paws (hope that makes sense) what is he doing and why? He did this from being young but does it every now and again still? What is it? It doesnt bother us, just wondered what it meant. Thanks for your answers Lynn and Ian
Hi Lynn the behaviour you describe is entirely normal (particularly so with a terrier like yours bred to catch and kill small furries ). I would say it is partly the sort of play he would enage in with his litter mates and he is also practising and perfecting his skills at catching and killing prey.

My Mini does exactly the same thing and goes to sleep with her teddy in her mouth

'Paddling' 'kneading' is also something puppies (and kittens) do with their paws to the dam when they are feeding, the kneading action stimulates the release of milk
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2008, 03:07 PM
My mum has a 12 year old collie who still goes to sleep sucking on her favourite cuddly toy
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Our last pup always sucked his cuddly strawberry to go to sleep, bless. I think it's sweet.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi,

Sounds like your pup is nesting or rather, just making his bed! I have a jrt who does this although it is when he is going to settle down and he can be quite particular, think it's a jr thing. If he isn't looking to settle and lie on it - then that could be a different matter.
lynnandian
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi,yes he does it just before settling for the night. Not every night just some. Its so cute to watch, especially his pawing! awww Thanks for the replies.