Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Puppy not sleeping

Hi,

I am having an issue with my puppy, she is 14 weeks old and we got her just over a month ago. When we first got she slept in her crate in our bedroom for the first week then we moved her downstairs into the living room. She sleeps most the night but wakes up at round 3am at first we thought it was because she wanted to go to the toliet but she never does she only ever wants cuddle. If we dont go downstairs she crys constently and scratches at her bed. We tried to ignore her but she just continues until we go down.

We have tried to keep her awake until she goes to bed, she has no water from an hour before bed and she has no found 3 hours before bed. Nothing has worked!

Can anyone reccommend anything as I am getting very sleep deprived!

Thank you
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Sweet looking Cavvies can be very determined! sounds like her mission is to be with you as you've made sure she doesn't need the toilet .... Do you take her back up with you in the middle of the night? all I can suggest is putting the crate near you maybe in the hall with the bedroom door shut so you don't have far to go and giving minimal attention and going back to bed and gradually ignoring this more and more and waiting longer to go out to her (like a child being put in their own room!) Most dogs are smart enough to know when they are not going to get their own way...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Maybe she is thirsty as she should always have access to fresh water?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2014, 01:41 PM
I'd go back to the beginning tbh Crate back in the bedroom and when she wakes at 3am if you're certain she doesn't need a wee just talk softly to her and put your fingers through the crate so she knows you're there. She's still very young but with a bit of patience and consistency on your part she should get the idea.
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2014, 01:46 PM
No she doesn't come back to bed with us. We did try putting her outside the door but then she cried even more.

When she cries I do go down and check whether she wants water but all she wants is attention
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Sounds to me as if she's just needing a bit of reassurance, she is still a baby. I would go for the advice of bringing her crate back into the bedroom, and if she wakes, just talk to her quietly/offer her your fingers to sniff so she knows she's not alone. Don't give her more fuss than this, no matter how pathetic she sounds, and she should soon settle again.

Something in the crate that smells of you might help, too. When I have pups, I carry a soft toy tucked inside my shirt during the day, and give it to the pup in his bed at night to snuggle up to. That way the scent stays fresh.

Dogs are social animals and it takes them a little while to learn bedtime doesn't mean abandonment. She'll get there, don't worry.
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The sounds she makes when she cries is so heartbreaking I feel really guilty if I dont go down. I have started leaving a t-shirt which I wear i the crate with her which seems to help a little bit
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Have you tried a bottled filled with warm water wrapped in a shirt that smells of you? It's worked well here in the past. Is there a reason why she can't be crated in your room anymore?
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2014, 03:59 PM
As hard as it is, I would do all you can to ignore her whining, especially if you know she is doing it for attention and not to go outside. She may whine nonstop for a night or two, but if you keep ignoring it, she will eventually stop. She may whine for 2 hours the next night, 1 the next, etc.

As others have said, I like the idea of keeping her crate in your room for now. Then, after a week or two, try putting it in the hall or further from your bed. Then downstairs or wherever you want it to be permanently.

But I agree! It's so hard to ignore that sad, puppy whining!
jessicanutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Thank you fro all help, we have continued to ignore her at night and she is getting better slowly. She still whines occasionally but not as much I do go down to her and put her out for loo and then back into crate again.

Thank you so much for everyones help