Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clarita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Help with teething puppy please

Our dalmatian 4 month old puppy Sebastian is teething right now- his mouth is sore bless him as he has lost 3 baby teeth. We have plenty of chew toys for him( nylabones& puppy teething toys , a soft dog toy ,as well as newspaper in abundance for him to chew on. He has 1dental chew every day, too. Yet, was wondering if there is anything else can do to ease the pains of his sore mouth whilst he is teething? Inspite of his teething making him uncomfortable he is a happy as well as well behaved dog. He has not chewed on any furniture either. Am at home with him all day long so he is not bored either- gets plenty of training, fuss, play and attention. Just worried about his teething. Grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Look forward to reading your replies.

Warmest wishes from Devon, Clarita and Sebastian
Kind regards from hubby Chris, too!
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
My pup is going through this too at the mo, and has even gone off his food because of it.

The only thing he seems to like doing (like yours he has loads of chew toys etc) is to chew on a frozen sock.

I have a couple of old woollen walking socks, put a knot in the middle, wet it under the tap and then shoved it in the freezer.

He spends ages with it - I assume it cools his gums a bit.
Clarita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
montysmum, Many thanks for your help ! Have stuffed a kong with treats and sealed it with a little peanut butter in the freezer just now- so hoping he will not only enjoy this as a treat yet the coldness will also soothe his gums.

He likes to chew ice cubes too- discovered this yesterday, had a brainwave which actually worked !

Hope your puppy will soon start eating properly again. Our dal seems to have a big an appetite as usual ! He is drinking lots too yet think the water is soothing his gums.

Take excellent care of You- all the best!

Big gentle grateful hugs from Clarita and her puppy Dal Sebastian to You and your puppy dog
Josilou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
When my spaniel was little, he used to like chomping on raw carrot - and I thought it was because it was quite hard but also quite cold.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I have long used frozen, knotted cloths. You may want to consider something smaller than a woolen sock. Cotton holds moisture better. Just keep a close eye on it. Your puppy could shred it and swallow the pieces.
Clarita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks to everyone here for your valuable contributions- will let hubby Chris know them all when he gets home from work, too! You are all stars!!

Sebastian loves raw carrot, too !

Hugs from Devon, Clarita & Seb
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
the joy of teething dogs

i tried frozen carrots...gave them the runs

frozen kongs....ice cubes are great..bought mine their 1st boiled bone today..they both look at them as to say "what do you what me to do with this"

but they got the hang of it and spent 20 mins chewing them..so that will help...mine love their food...but love to drink ...it must as you said ...soothing ...i'm going to did out some old cotton and knot it and freezy it...also
freeze rope tugs and wet them through and freeze

michele xxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I used to do the same with a tuggy rope as you do with the socks, I wet them and froze them, and as my puppy played with them, she would get some relief to those gums, sometimes she fell asleep with her mouth over it! Frozen carrots were good here too, they never gave her the runs, and I always keep my raw carrots in the fridge anyway, so they're always nice and cold.
Clarita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh my gosh You are all brilliant!! Wow, was not expecting such a good response so rapidly!!

Fantastic advice !

Warmest wishes plus much thanks, Love Clarita