Our sister sites
JanetSt
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2017, 12:06 PM

New puppy with soft poo

Hi everyone,
I've come across from a sister site.
Brought home an 8 week old Westie bitch on Sunday just gone, and a bit concerned that her poo is still quite soft. It is not diarrhoea, and she is lively/drinking eating ok.

Breeder doesn't seem overly concerned.
She is on Beta puppy (bought my own pack, same as she was raised on, but as breeder didn't pass any on to me, I don't know what flavour. I do know it's quite expensive, and look forward to changing over to something more economical.)

She has been fed nothing else, apart from a few treats for training. And I mean a few. Is she too young for them, maybe?

Any ideas or advice please, for a London based owner? She has a run, with puppy pads at one end (also on paper) and though she sometimes poos in that area, I have had her pooing out in the lounge, on dust sheets I bought the other day. Some of it was so bad I had to cut off the dirty parts, fortunately the ends.

ETA, for about two days I have given her a tiny amount of Pets at Home peanut butter in her kong. But as said earlier, the soft poo has persisted since Sunday when I got her.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2017, 10:02 AM
It could be that the food does not suit her. Have a look at the ingredients the first mentions is cereal so really just a filler. I would try swopping her onto a grain free puppy food of a different protein source, so if the one you have is chicken try fish, turkey etc. do it gradually over 3/4 days so that her tummy becomes used to it by mixing some in with her normal food.

Others may come on with other suggestions. If at all worried I would take her to a vet to make sure she is ok.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Ours gets a mixture. But he also scavenges when we are out and about. Mostly he is OK - just occasionally it is soft. I can't ascribe it to anything in particular. So we just don't worry too much.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2017, 12:27 PM
I'd give her some scrambled egg to firm her up. I raw feed so can't really comment on which dried food would be best.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Jazzi baby guess who? think of enlarged photo of your westie and you know who
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Maybe the fat in peanut butter is a bit too much for a little tum.
I had the same problem with my pup 1 year ago ,
the vet said i was feeding pup too much food so i gave him less
& next day he had firm stool.
Try less food & see if it makes pup better.