Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Help with my collie who lunges at other dogs on lead,please

Hi,i am new here,but i could really do with some help..I have a collie,evie who is 2(bitch) and a couple of months ago rescued a lurcher shadow(dog)but i am now unable to walk them together as when they are both on leads evie will lunge growling at any other dog she sees and now shadow joins in,its really hard to control both of them when this happens and i cant live like this its not fair on any of us.I will say that both dogs are very good at home and i have been training them seperately on my local field and each are doing really good.Shadow is a very gentle dog although only young,1,but evie has always been a car chaser and i avoid walking near cars,as we live fairly rural i have been working on playing ball,etc with evie to try to direct her chase instinct.When they are on there own they dont attack other dogs,please if someone could help..shadow has been done but evie hasnt..thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi
can I recommend a book?
James O`Heare - Dog Aggression Workbook
It would mean working with your two separately at first, but you`re already havimg to do that.
You could also try to find a good trainer, but for aggression issues I`ve found that quite hard as not many take this on and even fewer actually know what they`re doing , so maybe someone can recommend one?
Is Evie coming into season btw? That causes temperamental behaviour.
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi,thanks for the reply,and no not for a coulple of months,but it cant be that as she has reacted like this when they are both together on leads at other times.The thing is she isnt aggresive anywhere else,and is fine when walked on her own,im not sure wether she is trying to protect,or is scared,i will have a look at the book,the thing is i dont want it to become a habit,and know that its not ok..otherwise avoidance is just not going to address it..We are going to see someone on friday to help with the chasing so will see if has any ideas.thanks
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I would recommend contacting Barbara Sykes at Mainline Border Collie Centre, she is a BC expert & has an in depth knowledge of the breed & it's behaviours
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Thankyou i did look at her site yesterday but will contact her and see what i can do,thanks for replys.Bought them both out together but went back to useing the halti for evie and was better,when we met other dogs i had control and shadow just said hello...and then evie was able to have a little sniff too.she started to lunge but no growl then sniffed so a very good result,,
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:24 PM
My Lab did this for months; it was a nightmare

It wasn't aggression; just excitement at seeing other dogs and then a lot of frustration at being unable to go bouncing over to play with them

I found using a headcollar really helped as I could stay in control and could then be more calm - which in turn kept my dog calmer. Also I then rewarded for his calmer behaviour.

It's hard, I know, but if you can keep the lead relaxed, that helps; at first I found this almost impossible but with a lot of practise I managed to do it.

Our trainer also showed me that if, when walking past another dog, I simply kept on moving with NO pause or hesitation, this made a huge difference!

Hope that helps a little bit
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Barbara Sykes` book `Understanding and handling Dog Aggression` was the one that helped me most when rehabilitating Daisy. It`s a record of how she turned around a very difficult dog.
Some of the language is dated now; she uses the term dominant but I believe in the original (pre Cesar) meaning of controlling. Anyway, I found it very helpful. I`ll be interested to hear how you get on.
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions,ok will try to keep the lead relaxed,looking at it yesterday she had such stimulation from cars etc and was already heightened so trying then to calm her was nion impossible,where as today we walked in the forest she was on a halti and extenable lead and this was certainly better...so will continue with this and show no signs of anxiety when other dogs approach.thanks.

Just to let you know i contacted barbara sykes and she is phoning me tonight,so fingers crossed.i have also ordered the james o heare book from the library,,thanks will post how we all get on fingers crossed,,,,
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by eyescrye View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions,ok will try to keep the lead relaxed,looking at it yesterday she had such stimulation from cars etc and was already heightened so trying then to calm her was nion impossible,where as today we walked in the forest she was on a halti and extenable lead and this was certainly better...so will continue with this and show no signs of anxiety when other dogs approach.thanks.

Just to let you know i contacted barbara sykes and she is phoning me tonight,so fingers crossed.i have also ordered the james o heare book from the library,,thanks will post how we all get on fingers crossed,,,,

Just to mention that using a headcollar and an extending lead together can cause serious problems for a dog's neck.....

You clearly absolutely love your dogs and are trying to help with the lunging, so just thought I would mention this.

Better to use a halti on a 'normal' lead, far safer

Also to add that I really do empathise with what you're having; my Lab is extremely sensitive to any sound, and very reactive in general, and he used to lunge like you wouldn't believe...

He still does it on occasion, if he sees a cat or a horse!
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks i feel like such a novice,ive owned,rescued and fostered dogs all my life and i need to start again,nothing like a challenge,hahahaha,its always better to laugh...
I spoke to barbara sykes and am making an appointment with her,what a lovely lady and somehow i can just feel that she will help alot....thanks everyone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >