Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Domination Issues With Father and Son

Morning all,

I think I know the answer to this but I just want some more experienced advice if possible.

Some may know we recently lost our "pack leader" Missy suddenly at age 6, leaving behind her best mate Polo who is a male 6 year old Beagle and his 11 month old son. As you can imagine with Missy being the pack leader of those 3 and her sudden disappearance a new pecking order is being established as we speak. It was always Missy - Polo - Woody in the pack order but now there is no Missy and Woody is getting older, nearly age 1 now, he is thinking above his station, much to Polo's annoyance.

It has only happened a few times so far but their latest "spat" they will not calm down from. Upon eye contact they are growling and on the verge of going for it again. Dont get me wrong, they arent really fighting (although it does sound like they are killing eachother), for example there is no blood or puncture marks.....just an awful lot of rolling and aggressive growls etc etc. I think you get the idea.

The funny thing is, in the living room they wont entertain eachother at all, growling, fighting everything...........put them in the kitchen by themselves and they just lay on their beds fine? Its as though they have established the order in the kitchen (where they sleep) but elsewhere it is a free for all. The same goes at food time and walks aswell to be fair. They eat closely, about 2 metres apart, and walk together fine but again for some reason, this "spat" has started around the house?

Again, I think I know the answer in that it is normal and to let them get on with it but if I am honest I am so anxious about it going to the next level and also, when or if I should step in when they start growling. Should I just leave them too it? Or is it up to me to stop them? Ofcourse if I saw blood or something I would intervene but at the moment it appears to be all mouth.......is this normal? Missy and Polo never really had these issues, Missy was the boss, end off! lol

Thanks in advance
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Intervene---they are too level to sort it themselves even if you wanted them to.

Tell them both off if you need to but make yourself felt as the one who makes the decisiions and will sort them out. They are all at sea by the sounds of it and the bitch probably kept order without much effort, you might hav eto try ahrder.

I'd also have individual training sessions with each every day for a while, make them respect you and listen to you. Hand feed both seperately.

rune
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the response rune, it is really appreciated

Intervene! Sounds like the crates are coming out again. They are both fully crate trained so wont be a problem but I just dont want to risk not being there if they "kick off"

Yeah your right, the bitch Missy controlled the house without even trying....you only realise once their gone eh!

It is hard to keep them apart and stop the growling at eachother but I will do my best certainly!

Thanks again
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Lee,
It's nice to see you back here on the forum again. I'm not sure what the 'correct' way of dealing with two sparring dogs, but I have two litter-mate brothers who are now nearly 14 months. They genuinely get on really, really well. They choose to sleep in the same bed snuggled up (in spite of having a bed each) and cry when they are separated. However, they do have the odd cross words (only like two human brothers would have) and if I hear the tone changing I will yell at them, or anything to distract them for a moment. That has always been enough to break any tension. I read on a thread here that if two dogs ever have a real 'fight' that it usually ends up with one having to be re-homed!!!
My suggestion would be to 'distract them' as soon as tempers start to rise, whether it be a high pitched yell from you or making a loud noise. I have to say mine have never growled at each other, it's usually just when they are playing and one (or the other) gets a little too boisterous. I would be wary about leaving them alone in anywhere other than the kitchen at the moment, just in case it all kicks off. Crates maybe an alternative for your piece of mind if you are out.
Good luck!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 06:56 PM
hello there, sounds like woody is comming into adult hood, and his timeing my have nothing to do with the ,alfa not there.2 males from the same family does not always work either,there like humans,some we like some we dont and some we tolorate,give both your dogs boundries and curb there behaviour,if you are able to leave them alone with out incident, then the job is done, if you cant,they may never be able to mix...iv got two male pits who, now have to be managed, its the pup,16 months he is not submitting to 3 of his mates, only subs to my alfa. do what you can to curb them but undestand you may have to rehome,seperate,and manage.having said all of that ,there is still hope,and iv been there as well, it took months to get two male together , a few tiffs and lots of curbing.these two grew up,tolorating oneanother,lots to think of and things to try
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Hiya

Thanks for the great replies as always!

I have also been doing quite abit of reading this afternoon and its not that I arent concerned anymore but I am too hoping it is just Woody maturing! and providing he backs down and allows Polo to be the alpha it may just pass with the odd spat now and again! "providing" being the trick though eh!

With Woody being younger and our intervention.....making sure Polo is treated as the alpha dog etc we are hoping Woody will get all of the right signals to back down and things will calm down again.

They seem to have made friends again this afternoon and have stopped growling and snarling at eachother. I do think the like eachother really, as I said they eat and sleep together no problem, it is only me scared to leave them but to be honest from what I have read, the fighting will normally only occur in front of the owner anyway and that does seem to be the case here too!

I guess Beagles are very much pack animals and having 2 just really shows this trait even moreso. Like I said, they havent bitten eachother or anything, it only sounds like that! Hopefully not as drastic that one will need rehoming

Thanks again and ofcourse any more advice or anything you think we are doing wrong (within reason ha please feel free to help.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 08:02 PM
there behaviour outside may just be jousting,play with intent.mine did this as well,really ruff play, and then one day!it went to far and a fight happend, keep an eye on them and dont let it get out of controll, mine appeard to be fine one day .then i turned my back..also, there is not much your able to do ,to allow a dog to be the alfa,its not about your interventions,respectfully and imo, it all about the dogs themselves, it was for mine, i dont feel its something you can curb..i think?well, i hope it all goes well for you,it did not for me,iv got one pit who needs a better home than i can provide, and its hard to come to turms with, the dog will do better as an only dog,i thought it may happen when i put two males together.and it did.leaves mre feeling ,like i failed...sorry for the rant, this issue is close to me as well.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2012, 08:40 PM
There is a vacancy in your household - the job is 'pack leader'. If you don't fill it one of your dogs will. But possibly not before a blood bath.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
There is a vacancy in your household - the job is 'pack leader'. If you don't fill it one of your dogs will. But possibly not before a blood bath.
yeh yeh yeh........pugh, pugh, barney mcGrew, cuthbert, dibble, and grub
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Keybeagle View Post
Morning all,

I think I know the answer to this but I just want some more experienced advice if possible.

Some may know we recently lost our "pack leader" Missy suddenly at age 6, leaving behind her best mate Polo who is a male 6 year old Beagle and his 11 month old son. As you can imagine with Missy being the pack leader of those 3 and her sudden disappearance a new pecking order is being established as we speak. It was always Missy - Polo - Woody in the pack order but now there is no Missy and Woody is getting older, nearly age 1 now, he is thinking above his station, much to Polo's annoyance.

It has only happened a few times so far but their latest "spat" they will not calm down from. Upon eye contact they are growling and on the verge of going for it again. Dont get me wrong, they arent really fighting (although it does sound like they are killing eachother), for example there is no blood or puncture marks.....just an awful lot of rolling and aggressive growls etc etc. I think you get the idea.

The funny thing is, in the living room they wont entertain eachother at all, growling, fighting everything...........put them in the kitchen by themselves and they just lay on their beds fine? Its as though they have established the order in the kitchen (where they sleep) but elsewhere it is a free for all. The same goes at food time and walks aswell to be fair. They eat closely, about 2 metres apart, and walk together fine but again for some reason, this "spat" has started around the house?

Again, I think I know the answer in that it is normal and to let them get on with it but if I am honest I am so anxious about it going to the next level and also, when or if I should step in when they start growling. Should I just leave them too it? Or is it up to me to stop them? Ofcourse if I saw blood or something I would intervene but at the moment it appears to be all mouth.......is this normal? Missy and Polo never really had these issues, Missy was the boss, end off! lol

Thanks in advance
there is only one pack leader---YOU!!! take charge, so the dogs dont have to!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >