Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 11:13 AM

ben wont eat in front of other dogs??

noticed it a few times if ive got a pocket full of treats and im sharing them out ben wont eat in front of other dogs. he has to wait till they have gone. anyone know why??
he had a lab scoffing all his treats today and he just went n laid down.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Possibly its to avoid confrontation?the other dogs may be sending him very discreet signals you don't pick up on.My friends collie is completely her dog,devoted to her alone yet when out walking she will only take a treat off me or my mum.She will only bring a stick to throw to us too,never her.Very strange!Try to watch their and his body language so you can better judge how he's feeling in these situations.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Yes that's odd. The usual way to get a dog eating is to introduce others. That makes it competitive and the pack instinct takes over. The leaders eat first and others later in order of dominance.
Could it be that your dog is not confident in a "pack" situation and, as has already been suggested, takes the last turn rather than assert itself ?
On the other hand, he simply may not be able to tolerate sharing your attention with others and so opts out.
Either way I think its a symptom of mild anxiety.