Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2006, 03:13 PM

In Season Questions - Again

As stated a while back, this is my first bitch and so I'm almost completely unaware of the season peculiarities, etc. I've now spoken to the vet, got the best time to have her spayed, costs, recovery details, etc.

Anyway, unless I'm very mistaken, I believe her first season (since we got her) has now arrived. I wouldn't have realised had it not been for the fact she was licking herself a little more than usual and then when I sat in the kitchen I spotted some tiny droplets of blood on the floor.

Upon closer inspection of her, she's certainly red in all the right places, for want of a better phrase. If she is, then this must be either day one or day two of it. Does it get "heavier" as it progresses? How long does it typically last? What about walking -- we're at a crucial time in her walking training (might have guessed) as when we got her, she wouldn't walk but run and expect you to follow tied to the leash! Over the past two weeks this has almost been resolved and she's getting quite good at loose-leash walking.

Can they still be walked during this time, or is it not fair on them, other dogs, etc? There are a couple of times in the day that I know are very quite and we're lucky if we see another dog more than two times out of ten.

However, if it's best for her to keep her indoors then damn the training regime, that can wait.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I would suggest keeping her in, it is only my opinion, because dogs will know and want to mount her, if by accident a dog managed to you will have certainly a lot more than you bargained for.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I never walked our bitches when they were on heat as a dog will smell a bitch in season from miles away,the season usually lasts between 3 weeks to a month,depending on each bitch,they are all different.The prime time for a mating is usually around day 11-14 but again can vary.Keep a close eye on her in the back garden also,dogs have been known to get under and over fences to mate a bitch.
Hope this helps
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Keep a close eye on her in the back garden also,dogs have been known to get under and over fences to mate a bitch.
And as we quite literally have only a fence between our garden and a popular dog walking area, that's something I'll certainly need to watch out for.

Thanks for the tips!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:04 PM
agree with above ... I don't walk mine is season it attracts unwanted attention plus the risk of infection whilst the vulva is swollen is high
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I presume that it's perfectly normal for her not to be her usual bouncy self. Woke up today and she doesn't want to know either of us. Not that I mind that as I like a dog to have its own time when it feels it needs it.

Then, and this perhaps should be a new topic but it's slightly related. I've been reading about behaviour changes after spaying. However, some of what I read seems too far removed from reality to be true, and others seem to also want to sell books with them, giving them an agenda.

So my question is, has anyone here actually "experienced" lasting behaviour/temperament changes in their bitch after spaying, and if so, what were they?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2006, 10:51 AM
May I suggest that you purchase, or borrow from your library, Evans & White 'Book of the Bitch'. This will tell you all you need to know about bitch management.

This Dogsey article which addresses spaying & castration may be of help/interest to you: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12202

We have had both spayed and intact bitches. None of our spayed bitches presented any negative behavioural or physical changes.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I kept my bitches entire until after they had had a litter or I had finished showing them, apart from the two who had pyometras. I cannot remember any of them showing any change of temprement after spaying.

All seasons differ, as do all bitches. Be warned that some bitches will stand for mating as early as 2 days or as late as 4 weeks. so you will have to keep a very close watch on her.

Sprays are available that will help to deter dogs, I used several, with varying success. Kath
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kath
I cannot remember any of them showing any change of temprement after spaying.
Thanks, Kath. That was the kind of thing I was looking for -- first hand experience.