Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
so is it better to remove the skin ?
I feed it with the skin on to my dog -might take it off now ( see my post asking if my dog is overweight ). just thought it might not upset your dog's tum if the skin wasn't on due to the amount of fat in the skin. For your other dogs I would leave the skin on as it doesn't seem to affect them at all.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:47 PM
As one of many different rmb's I feed, for my dogs I now prefer the carcuss to the wings (& legs) My dogs never had any trouble with wings but I think the bones in the carcuss are much less sharp.

Are you thinking of giving them as an occasional addition? I used to give them every now and then while they were still on dog food and apart from being a treat there was no benifit as such, just something to enjoy more than anything. Obviously as part of a raw diet and used as part of the rmb content the benifit is to help offer variety as you want to source different types of rmb etc.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:49 PM
If your dogs are fed carbs if you want to remove the skin if you are worried about weight that's fine but because my dogs get zero carbs I leave the skin on any chicken / turkey etc as they need the fat for energy in a raw diet with no carbs included.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:53 PM
thanks for the replies .....i don't feed them have thought about it though

mine have a spoonful of natural bran twice a week so glands are ok i was just thinking of the nutritional value they can give also helping to keep teeth clean
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Ollie has raw chicken wings and turkey necks.He is fed a completely raw diet.
The benefit our breeder mentioned was calcium from the bones which they take as much of as they need from a raw diet and get rid of the rest naturally.
Just to add incase anyone with pups reads. From what I understand, that is true of adult dogs, regarding getting rid of what they don't need but pups don't have this ability so you do need to watch how much calcium pups receive.

Even with adult dogs you still don't want to over do it so that the poop is always white and chalky, that's when you know when to cut back.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2006, 09:54 PM
My two love chicken wings.... just give em as they come, skin on... not had any probs with diarrhoea
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
thanks for the replies .....i don't feed them have thought about it though

mine have a spoonful of natural bran twice a week so glands are ok i was just thinking of the nutritional value they can give also helping to keep teeth clean
I would think if they are on a complete dog food the nutritional value when only given occassionaly wouldn't really make a difference to their diet as it stands.

Chicken wings may help to keep little dogs teeth clean though, someone mentioned turkey necks also, if you can get those or chicken carcuss these would have the same affect (but with the bones being much less sharp)...also you could try raw carrots and stuff, given after their food.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Mine are also raw fed and have chicken wings, chicken carcasses, legs etc.
Most breeders who feed raw start their pups on chicken wings that have been bashed with a hammer a couple of times to make the bones more manageable.
My 2 have lovely firm poos. they also have ox heart, butchers pet mince, neck of lamb, turkey, fish, tinned salmon and tuna, anything I can get my hands on. I puree veg up for them and they have a spoonful of that with their meals, they are fed a big meal in the morning and a small one at night. Every other day I add a spoonful of bio yogurt to their tea.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
Yes I give RCW along with lots of other different raw meats as Harley is raw fed.

Vicki - you could try taking the skin off for your squitty dog as it is quite fatty and it may be the fat that is giving her a "dire rear".
love the " dire rear" I never know how to spell it and what is the dam thing if its not a dire rear, will remember that one though.
thanks
oh and I give chicken wings not all the time just now and then, I give them simply because they love em,
shona
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 12:47 AM
We do mainly raw and chicken bones such as legs, wings and knuckles but also assorted red meaty bones from the butcher with ribs and anything I can get my hands on. Ew! The odd marrow when we can get it.

Benefits are no cooking, minimal preparation, quick ... oh, you mean for the dog?

Well I guess nutrients not destroyed by cooking, lots of chew value so good for teeth and satisfying for a dog that likes to chew.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >