Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Still chewing EVERYTHING

Has anybody got any tips to help me stop Ishka chewing anything and everything. She drops stuff no problem when asked but she will chew on ANYTHING she can find and I mean anything.

The other 2 dogs only touch what is theirs but Ishka will just chew anything. She is 6.5 months.

Please dont say move all stuff out the dogs way as I cant move the tables, walls and doors and I am not perfect and cant keep everything last thing out the way all of the time. I tell her to drop undesirable stuff and move her away from doors etc if she starts but can anyone suggest something else?

Thanks
milo2012
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2012, 12:05 AM
hi i have the same problem with my labrador. have you tried a chew deterrent spray
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by milo2012 View Post
hi i have the same problem with my labrador. have you tried a chew deterrent spray
I havnt yet, but due to vile nature of everything she eats Im not so sure it will work, she chews the metal table legs, shes a freak It will be my last resort if I cant get anything else to work though. Thanks
milo2012
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2012, 12:11 AM
its defo worth a shot it smells horrible and when you catch it in the air it doesnt taste good either it doesnt work with my dog but it could with yours as all dogs a different
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Give her more stuff to chew?? It could be a teething thing

does she have toys/treats to gnaw?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Give her more stuff to chew?? It could be a teething thing

does she have toys/treats to gnaw?
They have a few things between them, Ive read on here not to allow too many toys at once though......
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Yup it is more interesting to rotate toys
But if she is chewing walls and stuff then it is possible she would like something hard to chew? Deer antler or a raw bone or something like that?
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 03:34 AM
There may be a nutritional deficit in her diet. A food that works fine for one dog may not be right for another. What do you feed her?

Does she ever get raw bones?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by milo2012 View Post
I`m sad that you have used an aversive on a Labrador to stop it using its mouth. Labs and other scent / hunting / HPR dogs are driven by hundreds of years of breeding to pick stuff up.
How are you going to teach retrieve or play tuggy games if you have punished your dog for picking things up?
Young dogs use their jaws for lots of things - it`s the same as a young human being `into everything`. They are exploring, playing, learning.
Channel the behaviour. Use it as an opportunity to interact and to teach alternative (desired) behaviours.
When you see your dog pick up something you don`t want him to have, either use a Give lesson and reward (training opportunity) or offer an item he is allowed to have (training opportunity). Make it fun - have a little tuggy or throwing play to make that item more attractive.
And provide chews, rope toys etc that he can use to chew. Dogs find chewing very satisfying.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 10:32 AM
What I did with Louie, who is labxESS, both breeds use their mouths a lot, was soaking a rope tugger in chicken soup (unsalted) and then freezing it overnight, he spent hours chewing it, it tasted nice and soothed his gums at the same time - and it stopped him chewing things he shouldn't.

Perhaps you could try that, but also give her things she CAN destroy, Louie likes cardboard boxes filled with shredded paper and treats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >