Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandon82
New Member!
Male 

13-10-2006, 04:09 AM

Protein/is the wrong amount bad for a dog

I was told that if a dog is getting to much, or enough protein, and no exercise, or not enough exercise, it can be bad on there internal organs. Do you think this is True or Flase? Thanks in Advance!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I was recently advised by my vet to feed Ben a low protein diet and maintain his level of exercise (lots) as he has had a kidney complaint. Apparently the kidneys help to get rid of waste products that are produced when protein breaks down. So on the same basis I imagine that feeding a dog on high protein diet who was not exercised a lot (therefore would not need as much protein to fuel muscles etc) may lead to problems.....having said that I am "NO EXPERT" and this is just what i am "ASSUMING" from what my vet said about my dog.

And I suppose folloewing on from that if one of the internal organs does not work efficientlly it may put added stress on the others eg the liver???? Again just an assumption

Hope this hellps a little
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 08:30 AM
i'd say TRUE

after doing a lot of research on Gastric Torsion this came up quite often.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 08:45 AM
i have read that they used to say high protien was bad for kidney function etc etc, however new evidence suggests dogs are not people, and that they actually thrive on it.

But then it depends on the 'protein' you are talking about. Fresh meat and bones contains so much more and better protein that the 'protein' they add to dog food.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post

But then it depends on the 'protein' you are talking about. Fresh meat and bones contains so much more and better protein that the 'protein' they add to dog food.
Definitely agree, vet advised me to feed protein like boiled chicken and if I fed dried food to change to a "more natural food" like Burns chicken and brown rice or fish and rice.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 08:54 AM
wow benz a lucky boy to have a vet like yours...

my vet accused me of almost killing my dog when a 'bone' showed up on the x-ray puncturing his intestines. He was on a drip for 4 days, and it turns out it was a lolly-pop stick (which are now banned from the house!)

All the vets round here think bones are evil and that we can't make our own 'complete and balanced' diet for our dogs
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 09:04 AM
benz vet positively encouraged it!!!! Telling me what to put in his homemade food telling me to remember to include veg aswell life finely diced or pureed carrots!!! rice (preferably brown)) and boiled chicken, he gave me quite a few ideas!! Bens better fed than me now!!! I look at his bowl for scraps!!!!
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 09:55 AM
You might find this link of interest about half way down for Protein

http://www.labbies.com/nutri.htm
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:00 AM
thanks for the link, it's a good un...

two points:
"Nutritionally, the source of dietary protein is perhaps more important than the percentage of crude protein listed on the side of the bag."

and

"There is no clinical evidence to suggest that high protein levels increase occurrence of kidney disorder in dogs"

In summary, feed your dogs fresh meat.
( oh that's cheeky isn't it )
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Agree with this
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >